HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gravity fed CH system. 2 tanks in loft and airing cupboard. House built in 2001.
I drained CH to fit new radiator and valves in downstairs toilet.
Been on going for over a year as I have capped the micro bore pipes from wall ready for pipe centres to be adjusted.
Thinking that draining the CH system I can take the caps off pipes already for plumber to come around to carry out work.

Not needing the CH on during summer. The hot water comes on 3 times a day and since I drained the CH it must have come on twice during the night. Note I ONLY switched off CH NOT the HW.
I realised their was no HW during the next day. So I am thinking I have done some damage here. I replensihed the CH and bled the rads. Switched the HW on the boiler flame lit but after 3 minutes swtiched off. Tried it 3 times but did the same. So please put me out of my misery what damage have I done? :cry:

Sponsored Links
gravity fed system installed in 2001 is unlikely, so you must have some other type of system.

the water in your radiators is also the same water that is in the coil that heats your hot water cylinder,

you may have an air lock, and there may be a bleed point at the top of the flow pipe on the side of your hot water cylinder.

I bled that. It's like a knurled end.
I think it's working. There is pump on hot pipe with a sort of switch. If you flick it up pump comes on. If down goes off. I think this might be a safety switch if the system is dry won't burn pump out? Am I right? Boiler flame is still on water heating after 5 minutes.

Boiler still working so is pump. Lovely hot water. Maybe it was me flicking this switch which looks like a semi dial switch. 11 oclock for on 7 oclock for off. Can anybody tell me if these are fitted with saftey cut-out in case people like me drain the CH system dry and leave HW to auto? :rolleyes:

Think I have saved myself a few hundred here. Plumbers are hard to come by and choose their jobs. So I won't drain CH until I know he's going to come around. Lesson learnt I think :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Is the "pump" something like this

If it is then it is not a pump but a zone valve. The lever opens the valve manually. When the valve is opened it operates a micro switch and that sends a signal to the boiler to fire up and to the pump to make it run.

Boiler still working so is pump. Lovely hot water. Maybe it was me flicking this switch which looks like a semi dial switch. 11 oclock for on 7 oclock for off. Can anybody tell me if these are fitted with saftey cut-out in case people like me drain the CH system dry and leave HW to auto? :rolleyes:

Think I have saved myself a few hundred here. Plumbers are hard to come by and choose their jobs. So I won't drain CH until I know he's going to come around. Lesson learnt I think :mrgreen:

pumps don't have a safety cut out, they'll run until they burn out, you may be referring to the pump speed, but without a picture its hard to tell what you mean.

This is the pump? I understand that maybe me turning the dial to 11 oclock sped the pump up? Anyway after say half hour the HW stopped working. The CH works ie ignites the boiler when switched on but the HW doesn't ignite the bolier. So I may have only hot water for a shower in the morning.

So why do you think it stopped working?
Do you think I damaged something when HW was left on AUTO overnight with the CH drained? :rolleyes: [/img]

Hey Bernard that looks like the silver box on the side of the image I posted.
I felt something like a switch underneath. Do I flick it or something? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back