Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wonder if anyone can offer some advice? We are in the process of buying a 1960's built Gough Cooper 3 bed semi. I can't find any info re internal wall construction (we want to take 1 out!). Also need complete re-wire, new boiler, new kitchen, new bathroom & polystyrene tiles removed from ceiling - and thats before we get the Home Buyers back :confused: Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Welcome Fionhun :)

Regarding the building work you need to do ,How good are you at DIY ?
have you attempted any of these jobs before ?, except the boiler/ Electrics as by Law you cannot touch them now ?

If you or partner are competant Diyers then the other jobs ,
new kitchen, new bathroom & polystyrene tiles removed from ceiling
arent that hard if you get good advice ......

Knocking the wall down is not that hard BUT YOU MUST make sure its NOT a load bearing wall , its a very messy an dusty job ..:)
Im sure you will find a good post about this in the builders section here ,:)

the new kitchen , go down an see the posts in this section with pics :)

a new Bathroom ,again many posts here in different sections to read up on others diy jobs ,

polystyrene tiles
is just a case of a wallpaper stripper scraper an "elbow grease" ;)

If you have specific any problems ,Please post in the individual sections
cheers :)

Thanks! Have just started to find my way round site so will post on other areas as appropriate :) We are both reasonably competent and very thorough. Also keen to follow any advice given and take heed of expertise.

Moz said:
Regarding the building work you need to do ,How good are you at DIY ?
have you attempted any of these jobs before ?, except the boiler/ Electrics as by Law you cannot touch them now ?

You can touch them, in the case of boilers and gas stuff you don't have to be corgi reg'd unless you are doing it for hire or reward, but you still must be competant at what you do (as is the case with any DIY, but its a more complicated thing than most other DIY)

In the case of electrics, you can also DIY them if you are competant (as has always been the case) but now you must notify the LABC in advance of the work if you are not registered with a self cert body

Personally I'd be happy doing electrics but certainly not gas (well not anything more than repairing a nailed through pipe), but there are many DIYers who should not do either and even a few who'd be ok doing both

Sponsored Links
Adam_151

With all due respect , an not wishing to start the very old an Tired Illegal Gas Work Thread .....
As an ex Brit Gas Service Engineer many years ago ....
You Cannot attempt ANY Gas work , not even repairing a nail through pipes unless you are Gas Industry Competant
( the word "competant" is not the same as knowing a bit of plumbing there is a huge difference in knowing how to use a blow torch an repair a copper pipe !,
To reconnecting a gas Pipeline an tightness testing it / purging ,an relighting appliances SAFELY BY LAW )

My advice is Dont Touch Gas at ALL........many diyers do an then cannot get it reconnected /signed off as a competant install !

If anyone wants this further arguement go the plumbers forum an ask there about doing Gaswork ,lol...lol...lol ;) ;) :) :)

Regarding Electrics again ,
I dont touch them now as the new regs are quite tough , go too the electric forum an ask there ,lol :) :)

Many thanks for all your comments. I have found them very constructive :D

Hi Fionhun,

Re the gas and electrics, you may have taken the hint by now, but really-leave them to the pro's.

If you were to do the work and even get away with it, as in, nobody getting killed or injured immediately etc, should there be a problem in the future traced back to your work, your insurance won't pay out.

And remember, you may have just moved in, but from June next year the Home Information Packs (HIPs) kick in, and in future, should you wish to sell, you may not be able to get the work certified for the HIP you'll need to supply.

Cheers
DL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back