Helping mates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be that I'm helping a particular mate at the moment with jobs on his house which he rents, and the tenants finally have decided they are moving. The trouble is he hates paying trades and thinks he can do the work himself, so he drags me down there and we do a poor job, which would be even worse had I not been there to help.

It's got to the point now where I'm not tolerating him very well, because he never wants to plan or cares about the finish. He has no standards and he expects everyone else to be the same way. As a result he attracts the sort of people that don't look after the place (messy tenants), and I say to him how do you expect the tenant to care if they think you don't. They bring stuff and leave it in the garden, yet he's got piles high of his junk there as well lol. He doesn't want to spend money on anything. Everything is old and tattered. Horrible looking kitchen, bathroom, etc. Place is basically falling apart and needs about 20k spent on it, and he's trying to wing it by doing odds and sods to keep the tenant sweet. He basically doesn't care, just purely in it for the money.

When things go wrong he blames the tenant, or the agent (which he gets quotes for work through but never uses), or the timeframe, or lack of money (yet he's jet-setting about all the time). He will come up with stories and excuses as to why it's someone elses fault. I think he's just hopeless really and not cut out for property development or being a landlord.

Where do you stand with mates like this? Do you distance yourself or try and help where you can and watch the train wreck? Is it worth trying to change someone who doesn't want to change?

Sponsored Links
if he is paying you I wouldn't worry ,it's his property he can have it how he likes. if he is not he is taking the p, and you are being a mug ,so distance from him ...as far as you can ..!!!

If you are getting to the point where you aren't tolerating him very well and it's winding you up then it's time not to get involved with his adventures in property. Just be mates, a pint down the pub or whatever.

This is the inevitable time when you are forced to reasses the frendhsips of the past. He's happy to get you to do work for him that he won't pay others for, and I expect he doesn't pay you even mates rates. You know the way he's being a landlord is at best selfish, and at worst inept, and you're obviously getting increasingly fed up with the way he presumes on your friendship with him.

If you tell him you feel like you're being taken advantage of, then he'll feeel your letting him down; and if you tell him he's not a very good landlord, then you'll be accused of criticizing him. This is a no win situation on your part, so I think in your heart of hearts, you know the answer to problem.

Sponsored Links
I think the tipping point for me is that the couple have a disabled child and the garden is an inaccessible death trap and he's done as little as possible to retify it. I just wouldn't treat them in that way, especially since they've never not paid a months rent. Sickening quite frankly the more I think about it. Thanks for the advice chaps.

The tenants should complain to the council about the garden
He's obliged to make it safe for non disabled but the disability adds requirements

The tenants should complain to the council about the garden
He's obliged to make it safe for non disabled but the disability adds requirements

They've not done so but he's constantly in danger of that happening. He's basically digging himself into a hole at this point and is unhelpable.

Not everything is the landlords responsibility, and sometimes, the tenants have to be a bit proactive as well, but we're getting off the topic. How do you feel about things now Hawkeye; can you take a step back from your "friend" and let him do things himself, or are you ready to walk away yet.

I think you're being used and he'll drop you in it if anything goes wrong with the property causing injury to the tenants. What do you get out of this relationship?

Sponsored Links
Back