trying to find my mate plastering work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
another question.

I wanted to post a few ads online advertising plasterer services.

Trouble is my mate doesn't get enough work to warrant having me help him, so I've offerered to take his details and post them online, with a few photos, and then when he gets a job I'll come along and help him out, as I want to learn the trade myself.

Anyone know of any free websites that would suit what I'm after ? He's a one man band and so places like yell.com would not be suitable. Websites like gumtree.com charge for the advertisement.

Any other ideas welcome, ideally free.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much all of the trades I go to, or recommend, are family, friends, friends of friends, or recommended by friends. You can trust those who you know, or come with trusted recommendation.

I would suggest that he have a decent FB page, and ask his customers to post decent reviews on that. Then, when he is recommended to the next person, they can check out his FB page.

And so it goes on........:)

Good luck with that - it's surprising how little work there is about. Of course all new builds just dry line so they're out the equation. Does he do Saturdays, could you help then ? Have you got a garage where you could put up a wall for int.+ext. angles. Even spread the walls ? use a lime mix, scrape off and re use. That's how my boy learned with his Father in Law. Could try Facebook ? Brigadier beat me to it - I'm just a slow old country boy;)

I've used mybuilder to find some people - I think they charge to quote on a job, you don't pay to advertise as such,. I think.

How much does he charge?

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. Good info there.

Not sure what he charges jonbey, I would think a fixed price, as not many plasterers that I have ever come across do hourly or dayrates. Typical London rate for a plasterer I would think + the money I'd pay to help him out, as it's basically tuition.

Also about trust online, I agree it's difficult. I've not personally had much luck with online tradesmen, although met a long term mate through online advertisement who turned out to be a really good mate. The rest have been awful. Watched DIY SOS last night and amazed at what they claim to get done in a few days (2 storey extension), and I'm thinking to myself I can't even get a plumber to come out within 2 weeks. Tis all about networking skills, it's true.

Be punctual, be polite and be positive. Your mate will be inundated with work.

Being punctual means the customer can rely upon you turning up on time which means the customer can get on with their own lives.

Being polite shows a respect and an awareness.

Being positive when the customer presents you with problems means that your having the solutions will make them blissfully happy.

Other things to consider are be tidy, keep to your price (never make the mistake of going to low initially as price increases when people are on a budget can cause anxiety and stress) and be professional.

Put a cheeky add on gumtree and e-bay for a days work at £150 or whatever.

.....Watched DIY SOS last night and amazed at what they claim to get done in a few days (2 storey extension).....

My Brother in Law, electrician working for a firm, was involved in one of these type programmes years ago. The one with Anneka Rice in. Everything, and I do mean everything was planned and ordered months in advance. I’d be surprised if DIY SOS is any different. FFS, how long does it take to get planning/building control organised?

Be punctual, be polite and be positive

And be damned clean. A lot of plasterers are good, but messy, and it's the one that leaves everything clean and neat, that's going to get recommended. Does he have any business cards that he can leave at DIY shops kitchen suppliers etc.

But don't do yourself down Hawkeye. Although he's going to be teaching you, he's also getting free labour, so it should be quid pro quo.

Sponsored Links
Back