Henry lights up but no life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 2 year old Henry who has just given up on me. It has a hi/lo switch along with an led. When I plug it in, the led lights up but no power.

I've seen a few suggestions on bypassing the hi/lo switch but when I opened the machine up, it didn't turn out as expected. I have managed to put it together again and I now have the same symptoms as I reported initially.

Ideally, I would liek to get the necessary parts and then open it up again to replace them.

I am hopng that a firm diagnosis can be made based on the information provided above. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
2 speed pcb gone. Right next to the switch. If u got the recipt it's got a 2 year warranty phone them and ask for a new Hoover.

Thanks for the response. I don't have a receipt and I suspect that it may have crept above the 2 year milestone.

Is that diagnosis for sure or should I be carrying out any further checks? The PCB looked pretty straight forward to replace...
Assuming yes to the above, do you recommend any outlets for the purchase of the PCB?

I would be chopping off the plug and replacing. A broken wire at either end could cause the symptoms you have stated.

Does the lights go out when you hit the on switch?

Sponsored Links
The led is not intermittent. Its always on when that rocker switch is pressed. Would you still suggest replacing the plug?

Does it feel 'lose' at the plug end? Strain on the wire when hoovering often breaks these, and usually at the plug end. You have nothing to lose.

Ok. Will try this. I've not noticed any looseness but will check. Thanks

hi, tried replacing the plug but get the same issue. Where next?

thanks

if you possess a multimeter, check continuity of wires going into the electric motor, and motor windings should read some resistance, if open circuit (i.e. very high resistance) then most certainly the motor windings may have become detached somewhere or brushes may have worn out excessively, although on a 2 year old appliance that may not be the case, I fear there may be a break in the windings circuit and often a thermal fuse mounted inside or near the field windings that often blows out when motor gets real hot, motor can get hot when filter becomes clogged, and this can lead to overheated windings and insulation breakdown, that in turn causes motor to heat up rapidly and blow this thermal fuse. If the windings don't smell burnt, and looks nice clean and red or brown or golden colour enamelled no signs of overheated , then try and replace it with another similar fuse after first checking that it is blown up, it looks like a small metal capsule, or can be made out of plastic as well, it is usually tucked inside the insulating tape to hold the windings together, it goes open circuit when motor temperature reaches above 130c - 140c .
as most windings used in motors cannot tolerate any higher temperatures.

Hi All,

I've got some additional detail that I wanted to share wth you before I proceed. Thanks in advance.

When I plug in the hoover and switch the on/off rocker to ON, the following light is on:

If I switch the on/off to OFF, the light switches off:

I then opened up the machine with a view to bypass the PCB to verify this was at fault but can't see how that can be done in my situation. Here are all of theconnections to the two switches and there are no spare terminals on the on/off rocker

Both of the switches appear to connect back to a single PCB and some of the cables from this PCB connect to the motor. There were some suggestions on a PCB for the HI/LO and a separate PCB for the ON/OFF

I hope these pictures help explain my situation. Can I bypass the PCB? How confident are we that it's my PCB at fault?

I assume it's this here although someone mentioned that it was £15?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-NUM...458547243&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=henry+pcb+red

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WP_20160321_07_23_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160321_07_23_08_Pro.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 4,634
  • WP_20160321_07_23_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160321_07_23_22_Pro.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,866
  • WP_20160321_07_29_41_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160321_07_29_41_Rich.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4,776
  • WP_20160321_07_31_00_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160321_07_31_00_Rich.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,220
  • WP_20160321_07_31_12_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160321_07_31_12_Rich.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,602
If you want take motor out and bench test the two white wires from the motor. When it starts up you know it's the pcb. All your doing is ignoring the high low switch and putting the two white wires in the live and neutral of the on off switch. Pcb cheaper on eBay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back