Hep 2 0 failure...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a disaster, but I wonder what went wrong.
This morning I thought I heard water dripping and found a leaking push-fit joint in the cold water pipe. This joint has been in place for about 5 years, and not disturbed in any way. It's in the bathroom, which doesn't get at all cold and is very firm, as it is supported on all 3 sides by nearby pipe-clips - no more than a couple of inches away.
I wonder why it suddenly sprung a leak from the junction between the end cap and the main body, as marked - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
HoHoHo - have traced problem to an issue found between the instructions and the fitting... the fitter (me).
right-hand pipe only inserted into fitting by a few mm, so nowhere near seated properly - indeed, 12mm short. :eek:
It's a wonder it has been water-tight at all. Am suitably embarressed.
Have replaced the section (luckily for me, only a few inches long) with a piece cut to the right length and inserted properly...

Sponsored Links
Glad it was a simple fix.

That particular fitting is a "Grip" first and "O" ring second, so the pipe must have passed through the grab wedge and semi sealed on the "O" ring hence the drip.
If the internals had been the other way round ("O" ring first "Grip" second) like Polyplumb, potentially it could have blown out and resulted in a Full Bore leak.

Belt and braces, always mark the depth insertion on the pipe and "Tug" back.

Belt and braces, always mark the depth insertion on the pipe and "Tug" back.
That's what I thought, as I sat there looking at it - there's 2 makes of pipe been used in the house, John Guest 'speedfit' which has markings all along the pipe so you can see that the pipe's gone in the right distance and the other stuff, which has no markings... grrrr.
So in future I'll just pop a pencil across the pipe, as suggested.

I've always preferred the JG speedfit stuff as insertion is easier, especially in awkward locations. Not had a leak in 15 years of using the stuff. I always pencil mark regardless!

No doubt like many others, I'm glad you identified it as incorrect installation rather than a failure of the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back