Hep20 Heating Pipes (10mm)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my house has 10mm Hepworth plastic ch piping. Broadly, it has not been a problem over the 23 years it's been installed, however...

I have had cases where there is a tiny leak where the pipe is inserted into the valve (instinctively, I think mainly the TRV end). I've just laid a new wood floor, so now is the time to sort it for the foreseeable. So questions:

1. Can I replace the olives and ptfe without draining down the system? (because I don't think there's a tighten left on the fitting).

2. If no, how do I choose which rad to use to drain the system?

3. Do those freezing kits actually work?

Any other advice welcome. Ta.

CG

Sponsored Links
1. Best not to - if you do, wear a mac
2. Somewhere lower on the system. Close the other rads off and leave the faulty one open (others may disagree but it’ll save a good amout of inhibator if you dont have any to hand..) open bleed on the faulty rad when draining to release vacuum
3. Never used one after a mate tried it and flooded some old dears bathroom (but to be fair he was a bit ****!)

Make your fix and open all rads - wait a min - then fill up and bleed all rads. Starting at bottom and working your way up.

Edit: may take a little while to drain down - be patient...

If play on the pipe you could just cut it and pull it up 1/2” with new olives, also as you say it’s only on the trv side could be it is 15mm valves with a collapsible olive down to 10mm

Sponsored Links
Ok - to clarify my post. Whilst on the trv side you may not have to drain down if you do this sort of thing regularly - i’d suggest for someone with no experience - and semi-likely/unfortunate enough to displace/make matters worse - it’s probably best not to have the added pressure (excise the pun...) of 1.5 bar, should the worst happen and something pops.

I’d still probably take away the pressure - better safe than... drenched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back