Hep20 vs JG Speedfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm used to speedfit and have been reading about the hep20 system. I've done a few searches of old posts and it seems a lot of installers prefer the hep20.

I wondered whether the opinion is still the same, that hep20 is superior to speedfit?

Sponsored Links
I prefer Hep but use both as sometimes it’s specified.

Speedfit doesn’t need tool for removal and has the additional “compression” locking process for extra security, BUT only if you remember to tighten each and every backnut... I come across so many that have not been!

Hep now has the ridged inserts that indicate the pipe is fully home into the pushfit fittings as it “grinds” when you twist it.

Hep just feels more secure to me... when it’s in... it’s in! You can twist pipe to get it routed and other fittings on it, without the worry that your manipulations are not undoing a hidden back nut somewhere - which you can sometimes see happen with speedfit!

shopping
- JG locking collets - wonderful things ;)

I use both too though TBH - it also depends what installed at the job to start with. Fresh install though, depends on who's got the best deal on at the time if I'm totally honest :whistle:

Sponsored Links
There are four main brands of Polybutylene pipe in the UK market, Hep2o, Polyplumb, Speedfit and Pipelife. All four are made to exactly the same specification and standards and all are tested and certified to BS7291 standard. All four have exactly the same characteristics in terms of flexibility and lay flat properties, there is no way any manufacturer can make theirs better than any others. The plastic raw material and the manufacturing processes are the same for all four. Any supposed advantage of one over the other is purely down to individual perception, there is no technical way to make one better than the other. While everyone may have personal preferences the only major distinction between all four is based on price with Hep & JG being very expensive, Polyplumb somewhat cheaper but the Pipelife pipe is much cheaper than all the others. I cannot understand how Hep & JG can justify their incredibly high prices when they cannot show any technical or performance improvements over the other two. Those very high prices and profits may be the reason that JG recently sold the company for a whopping £500m!...LOL.....nice pay it!

When I started I used JG,simply the first I came across..Then I tried Hep..I find it much better to use,pipe more flexible,fittings smaller,easier to fit,dismantle,fewer leaks.not sure the bit in the above post re:flexibility of pipe for instance,Hep seems way more flexible.

Any supposed advantage of one over the other is purely down to individual perception, there is no technical way to make one better than the other.
I think you are talking textbook and not from experience.

There are four main brands of Polybutylene pipe in the UK market, Hep2o, Polyplumb, Speedfit and Pipelife. All four are made to exactly the same specification and standards and all are tested and certified to BS7291 standard. All four have exactly the same characteristics in terms of flexibility and lay flat properties, there is no way any manufacturer can make theirs better than any others. The plastic raw material and the manufacturing processes are the same for all four. Any supposed advantage of one over the other is purely down to individual perception, there is no technical way to make one better than the other. While everyone may have personal preferences the only major distinction between all four is based on price with Hep & JG being very expensive, Polyplumb somewhat cheaper but the Pipelife pipe is much cheaper than all the others. I cannot understand how Hep & JG can justify their incredibly high prices when they cannot show any technical or performance improvements over the other two. Those very high prices and profits may be the reason that JG recently sold the company for a whopping £500m!...LOL.....nice pay it!

True as far as the pipe is concerned, all PB, all extruded to relevant BS, EN standards.
The fittings are a different matter, some are “O” ring first, grab second, others the reverse, some have a feature that lets you know if the pipe has been inserted “full socket” (perhaps the biggest reason for joint failure), some can be demounted by expansion / contraction if not locked off.
The joints (fittings) are potentially the weakest points, unless you fully understand how they work and the advantages that one has over the others I can’t see how you can say that they are all the same.
Barratts (UK’s largest house builder) have stopped plumbing contractors from installing a certain brand of pushfit behind “dot n dab” because fittings have demounted due to the release collet releasing the fitting due to movement (expansion).
Yes there are differences in price, as there are in all we buy, be it Aldi v Waitrose, Dacia v Mercedes but there are differences in quality and reliability.
Personally I always use Hep2o if I use plastic, they have been around longer than the others, the fittings have evolved over that period, they were the first to offer a 50 year warranty, they have good technical support and area managers should you need them, not all can offer that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back