Hep2o T-connector leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A couple of weeks before christmas I had a leak in my house (new build); and after some destruction and investigation identified that the leak was coming from a hep2o T connector supplying cold water to one of my bathrooms (a bathroom which gets very little use). I had very little knowledge of plastic plumbing so a relative (who knows about this stuff) refitted the connector, tested and all seemed to be fine.

5 weeks on and the bloody thing leaked again which I am certain was caused when I flushed the toilet in the bathroom a day or so earlier. This time my dad and I decided to just replace the connector and collars; it was at this time we learned that all you do is pop the collar in the pipe and push-click it into the connector then pull back just to make sure it's gripped in.

One of the pipe ends wasn't quite square, so we squared it up slightly and fitted the new connector. So far, no leaks, but that's not to say it won't leak again in 4 weeks time.

Why would one of these connectors leak, even after refitment? Is it possible that the connector was just duff or is there anything else I should be checking?

Many Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Most new build companies use contractors who use subcontractors who use temp labour. As a result, the actual work was probably done by a guy on very poor pay who knew he could be sacked any day.

Most new builds usually give a gaurantee for the first year or two on plumbing. You should have got the builder to get it fixed.
FMI Was the leaking joint a grey or white joint?

The house is 3 years old and its guarantee ran out last year.

The joint itself is grey which I believe is the older hep2o system? I've learnt a lot about this plastic plumbing in the last 24 hours ;)

Sponsored Links
If it is hep, it will say so on the parts. Most likely it is not hep, but the cheapest plastic they could find at the time.
It might be an idea to shop around for a good all-plumbing-covered insurance.
What boiler do you have?

It's definitely 100% hep as that's how I found out about hep ;)

The pipes did have inserts but I have now replaced these inserts along with the connector.

It is almost certainly due to poor insertion, or it can be a score on the pipe, or the grab ring can be damaged, especially if it has been re-used.

Hep, like anything else, is OK when installed properly.

Of course if it has been installed correctly it has a 50 year warranty so you could have got it done under warranty. Not that this actually helps a lot in the real world, as AFAIK they don't cover consequential loss

The pipe looked in good condition, no marks as far as I could see which suggests to me that the grip ring on the original connector was duff.

I'm pretty confident from the responses that it was just a duff connector and replacing it has fixed it.

Now I am going to change your mind! I think that you have been selective with your reading anyway!

First, those should ONLY be fitted when the pipe has been cut with cutters ( not a hacksaw ) as that ensures a square edge.

In my view the grab ring can only be fitted ONCE as removing it is likely to cause slight scoring to the pipe! Even removing it can make the tension on the teeth unequal.

Its quite possible that the installer removed or did not fit the pipe in one single action and damaged the pipe OR the "O" ring at the installation time.

Tony

How about changing it for a compression with metal insert?

Now I am going to change your mind! I think that you have been selective with your reading anyway!

First, those should ONLY be fitted when the pipe has been cut with cutters ( not a hacksaw ) as that ensures a square edge.

In my view the grab ring can only be fitted ONCE as removing it is likely to cause slight scoring to the pipe! Even removing it can make the tension on the teeth unequal.

Its quite possible that the installer removed or did not fit the pipe in one single action and damaged the pipe OR the "O" ring at the installation time.

Tony

Nope, you've just re-enforced my mind :) This is exactly what I think has happened and why it has leaked and why I think the new connector was the solution.

How about changing it for a compression with metal insert?

This is probably what I will do if the new connector leaks.

actual work was probably done by a guy on very poor pay who knew he could be sacked any day.
bit like me when I was an apprentice :LOL: Funny how I turned out to be a reasonably good plumber :mrgreen:

The pipe looked in good condition, no marks as far as I could see which suggests to me that the grip ring on the original connector was duff.

I'm pretty confident from the responses that it was just a duff connector and replacing it has fixed it.

I interpreted that as meaning that there was a fault with the original fitting!

But I also meant to imply that as well as a new fitting it really needed 25mm to be cut off each tube as well. I leave some slack when fitting plastic pipes for just that. But John as a poorly paid apprentice may not have done!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back