Here we go - Tabloids start the attack on the NHS to take blame from our government.

Wouldn't wanna be a nurse currently. I bet there's loads more having to work freebies with this Covid19 thing.

Sponsored Links
That's the starting wage once qualified, it's the bottom of band 5. and that is for a 37.5 hour week, anything over that is paid as overtime.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/careers-hub/nursing-pay-guide/

Between 8 and 13 grand more, and that's at band 5, top of band 6 would we well over 20 grand more.
That's head nurse money, 20k more. That's not your normal nurse and they can't all be head nurses.

A person starting with a degree in nursing is about £22-25k, going up to £30k, eventually.
https://www.nursingjobsuk.co.uk/blog/2017/04/nurse-banding-in-the-uk-credit-to-staffnurse-dot-com

Than u get the top consultants probably trained at the tax payers expense and work for the NHS 2 or 3 days a week

Rest of the time they are in Harley Street or some other private practice
Not all NHS workers want to do private, some believe in the NHS.
And... I am pretty sure docs pay for their own training.

That's not your normal nurse and they can't all be head nurses.

52% of NHS staff are at the top of their pay bands so it's a little disingenuous to only quote the bottom of pay bands, and comparing it to 'minimum wage' is just silly.

Sponsored Links
52% of NHS staff are at the top of their pay bands so it's a little disingenuous to only quote the bottom of pay bands, and comparing it to 'minimum wage' is just silly.
Only in your opinion. I thought it was fair as I said it was for a fair few years - which it is. I thought it was silly & disingenuous to compare a normal, run of the mill nurse's wage to management/chief nurse, but hey *shrug*.

A newly qualified (degree band 5) nurse will get about £25k. They won't get the max wage (in that band they are in) for 7+ years, then it will go up to a max of around £30k, as well as start their career in about 45k debt.

The fact that all those NHS staff who are on top of their bands can only be a good thing - we've long term staff who like their jobs. However, I still don't think that a nurse's wage AFTER 7 years and MAX is around £30k is all that high. This is why we see nurses in cities struggling with money. Sure, a 30k wage is probably a reasonable wage where property and rents are cheap but anywhere else it's a struggle, it's around £2k a month.. I also think it's not that much for what they do - it's flippin hard work, not at all glam and they are the backbone of the NHS.

30k a year for a nurse is peanuts when you consider they have to pay tax and work anti social hours.
If they live in big city like London they also have to sky high rent.
The government should be providing nurses with subsidised council properties if they live and work in high rent areas.
After all politicians get rent subsidies.

Going back to the first post. They have picked out a subject mentioned in the daily brief several times - deaths that are a knock on from CV19 but not directly connected to it. First mentioned some time ago. Figures on the end effect especially delayed will be available eventually and current deaths from strokes and heart attacks will be as well. We are strangely consistent in respect to death rate throughout the year so all sorts of info can be dug out eventually even down to the reason and age people die.

Cancer is particularly difficult. Chemo knocks the immune system on the head - NVG condition to leave people in when CV19 is about.

If they do 12 hours they get paid overtime, they can also freelance at weekends or their days off for agencies doing the same job but earning 3 or 4 times as much.
What do you think the average salary of a nurse is?, I'm not digging the figures out, I did that last time.

£12 pound per hour is what my work colleagues son is paid in a nursing home.
And he is just a year into his nursing career training.
Thats double what he was receiving training as a joiner.
His 3 sons, daughter and future daughter in law all work in the nhs.
He nearly died a few weeks back and the nhs did very little to help him.

Last edited:
The best thing to do about salaries is to pay everybody at the levels plumbers and electrician sole traders expect to earn ;) then they could charge even more.

Sponsored Links
Back