hermann boiler DHW fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,m Guys, My Son,s got Hermann supermicra se24, and DHW isn,t working,ch is ok.
1 Engineer ? is quoting him £200+ vat + labour, but as yet , don,t know actaully what for. For that price I presume It,s PCB, ???
According to son, pin isn,t coming out, to operate microswich, but, operating microswitch manually still doesn,t fire dhw up.I thought diaphragm,due to pin, or pin sticking, but micro should still operate , so presume it,s something else.
Is that quote for pcb about right ?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As the only question is about money, you're on the wrong site. In any case how can anyone be expected to answer when you don't even know what your quote is for?

As the only question is about money, you're on the wrong site. In any case how can anyone be expected to answer when you don't even know what your quote is for?
The Engineer is giving him a proper quote tomorrow when he,s priced the parts, so I presume it,s more than 1 item he thinks is faullty.
but didn,t tell my son, what. I just wanted a rough idea about the pcb price.2 engineers had never heardof the make.

Sponsored Links
I have heard of them but never seen one in the flesh - it looks lke a rebranded POS Saunier Duval to me.

If it is anything other than the PCB it may be worth scrapping - although happy to be corrected by those that have played with them.

I have heard of them but never seen one in the flesh - it looks lke a rebranded POS Saunier Duval to me.

If it is anything other than the PCB it may be worth scrapping - although happy to be corrected by those that have played with them.
Hi, That,s the dilemma, as it, stands, this engineer, I use that term loosely, as I don,t know him, and son,s never used him, he seemed unsure, was on the phone asking questions, don,t know if it was tech services, then a figure of £200 was mentioned, and if pin isn,t operating microswitch, that,s another part, I think, thetotal will comeout at around £350+.
He didn,t give my son, the impression he was sure that would fix it.?
I have worked, and installed my own boilers, in the past, had advice off here before, oso was wondering, when to cut his losses, it,s me who,s paying. I had a new Viessmann 2 years ago.£2k fitted.
Don,t know anything about them boilers, only that I think Gloworm may own them now.? I,ve found a firm that supply refurbished pcb,s for £55, 12 months guarantee, ALLSPARES london ????ever heard of them ?

Hi, That,s the dilemma, as it, stands, this engineer, I use that term loosely, as I don,t know him, and son,s never used him, he seemed unsure, was on the phone asking questions, don,t know if it was tech services, then a figure of £200 was mentioned, and if pin isn,t operating microswitch, that,s another part, I think, thetotal will comeout at around £350+.
He didn,t give my son, the impression he was sure that would fix it.?
I have worked, and installed my own boilers, in the past, had advice off here before, oso was wondering, when to cut his losses, it,s me who,s paying. I had a new Viessmann 2 years ago.£2k fitted.
Don,t know anything about them boilers, only that I think Gloworm may own them now.? I,ve found a firm that supply refurbished pcb,s for £55, 12 months guarantee, ALLSPARES london ????ever heard of them ?

pin not moving / if it is similar boiler to PROTHERM / S/DUVAL possible diaphragm . Good Luck

Proper professionals dont fit repaired PCBs.

I have seen only one Hermann boiler. Typical simple cheap boiler.

Might be time to replace.

Could be several causes and if diverter and microswitch I would be charging more like £136 than £350.

You dont work out parts needed from a price quoted!

In many cases the newer the car on the drive the higher the repair price.

But then I always charge to diagnose a fault. Those who dont have to charge more to cover those who dont take them up!

Tony

If he can't diagnose the problem get someone else it sounds like he's just gonna fit a load of parts and hope one of them is right. These boilers are not amazing, but they are surprisingly reliable considering they were cheap as chips and aimed at cheapo builders. Its just an Ikon 23t with a recuperator bolted in to make it a band B. They were sold under 3 different badges one of them being SD as Dan has correctly guessed ;) but its not an SD, its a Hermann product, made in Italy.
Its very hard to help with the fault with so little information, but I would assume its the diaphragm in the diverter valve. unfortunately removing the diverter valve on these is a horrible painstaking process and without experience will be very painful ! I can do it in around 2hrs but thats having done dozens and worked out a decent method. The diaphragm can be replaced in situ but again, its a very very tricky procedure.
I would recommend if you cant find someone with experience of the boiler, which is likely, then call Group Service 01773 828100 who should be able to offer a fixed price repair.

Proper professionals dont fit repaired PCBs.

I have seen only one Hermann boiler. Typical simple cheap boiler.

Might be time to replace.

Could be several causes and if diverter and microswitch I would be charging more like £136 than £350.

You dont work out parts needed from a price quoted!

In many cases the newer the car on the drive the higher the repair price.

But then I always charge to diagnose a fault. Those who dont have to charge more to cover those who dont take them up!

Tony
Hi Tony, We,ve spoken before about my old Vokera, I,ve a feeling it,s not pcb, but diverter, diaphragm, haven,t looked myself yet.
I,m retired now, 50 years fully served ex engineer.Knew Vokera inside out, and fitted my own worcester, but wouldn,t touch gas side of sons. His house is up for sale. I need to see the quote, and check the boiler myself, son is not mechanically minded at all.

If he can't diagnose the problem get someone else it sounds like he's just gonna fit a load of parts and hope one of them is right. These boilers are not amazing, but they are surprisingly reliable considering they were cheap as chips and aimed at cheapo builders. Its just an Ikon 23t with a recuperator bolted in to make it a band B. They were sold under 3 different badges one of them being SD as Dan has correctly guessed ;) but its not an SD, its a Hermann product, made in Italy.
Its very hard to help with the fault with so little information, but I would assume its the diaphragm in the diverter valve. unfortunately removing the diverter valve on these is a horrible painstaking process and without experience will be very painful ! I can do it in around 2hrs but thats having done dozens and worked out a decent method. The diaphragm can be replaced in situ but again, its a very very tricky procedure.
I would recommend if you cant find someone with experience of the boiler, which is likely, then call Group Service 01773 828100 who should be able to offer a fixed price repair.
Hi, Mick, even if diaphragm was duff, the boiler should heat DHW when microswitch is operated manually, says it,s not ? but ch is ok.Son said he took micro off, what for??, if it,s not working in situ, it,s either duff, or something else. Pin only operates it,if it doesn,t work by hand , any idea what it could be.?
Son hasn,t got the manual, silly sod, so I,m trying to either get one from the net, or as much info as I can before I go over, long trek. Could do with flowchart of ops from micro onwards trouble shooting.

Hi, Mick, even if diaphragm was duff, the boiler should heat DHW when microswitch is operated manually, says it,s not ? but ch is ok.Son said he took micro off, what for??, if it,s not working in situ, it,s either duff, or something else. Pin only operates it,if it doesn,t work by hand , any idea what it could be.?
Son hasn,t got the manual, silly s**, so I,m trying to either get one from the net, or as much info as I can before I go over, long trek. Could do with flowchart of ops from micro onwards trouble shooting.

Yes if you operate the microswitch it should fire, but I would be sceptical its been properly tested. If it doesn't it may be a faulty microswitch(happy days) or a faulty microswitch damaged by a leaking gland on the diverter valve.
I have the manual I'll send it over. Whats your email?

Firstly, they are not reconditioned, they are repaired !

Are you two paying £50 for a repaired PCB and then charging the customer the full price of £200 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back