HETAS log burner smoking in bedroom

Sponsored Links
I can assure you I've better things to be doing than attention seeking on a technical forum. Unless you see attention seeking as asking for advice from people who may have a little more experience than the installers? The flue is 9m and I'm not climbing onto a rooftop to take photos to validate the post. You also won't see much from me taking a photo up the chimney or of my log burner. I have previously attached a pic of the cowl.
The cowl is of the hanging type that sits in the chimney pot so there is no plate installed as that would mean the pot removing which wasnt the method used. As doggit has said the issue seems to be with the flue liner touching and heating something inside the chimney which in turn emits fumes and faint smog in the bedroom above. I'm really grateful for all of the replies so far and there hasn't been any readings taken heat wise of the breast...that seems a bit high tech for the installers. The chaps did the work today without me present and didnt sweep the bedroom chimney...so I discovered later. apparently the sweep said it didn't need doing. Annoying as I can't eliminate that as the issue now. Anyway, that's it for the attention seeking for today. Apologies if you've taken offence and thanks again to those who have pointed me in the right direction.

Last edited:
What appliances.

Contura 5L, 6" stainless flue, supported at the top with a plate and clamp, pot reinstalled and a down draught cowel fitted. And a Chesney 4Kw with a 5" flue, same setup, both with vermiculite used.

And you.

Sponsored Links
I did it under a building control notice. As to qualfications, I suffer from aspergers; higher functioning autism with a high IQ, so I research things to the nth degree when I get a new project. Yes, it makes me a bit nerdy, but I manage to survive in a very difficult to understand world.

The cowl is of the hanging type that sits in the chimney pot so there is no plate installed as that would mean the pot removing which wasnt the method used.
That suggest the installer took a short cut and as a result the liner is probably not insulated. When my liner was installed the chimney pot was removed and a plate with spigots fitted to support the weight of the insulated liner and locate the new chimney pot.

That suggest the installer took a short cut and as a result the liner is probably not insulated. When my liner was installed the chimney pot was removed and a plate with spigots fitted to support the weight of the insulated liner and locate the new chimney pot.
Hogwash! The use of a pot hanger is perfectly acceptable and in many situations there is no need to insulate the liner. The insulation of a liner is to prevent the formation of condensation, creosote and tar inside the liner and to ensure that the POCs remain warm enough to exit the flue by convection...IE to ensure that the stove draws enough to work as designed. Not as you have previously suggested to protect the existing building fabric from excess heat. If you have as you have said, a thatched roof, then the use of an insulation jacket in your flue to protect the fabric of the building... If it is as you claim, then you were mugged.

I can assure you I've better things to be doing than attention seeking on a technical forum. Unless you see attention seeking as asking for advice from people who may have a little more experience than the installers? The flue is 9m and I'm not climbing onto a rooftop to take photos to validate the post. You also won't see much from me taking a photo up the chimney or of my log burner. I have previously attached a pic of the cowl.
The cowl is of the hanging type that sits in the chimney pot so there is no plate installed as that would mean the pot removing which wasnt the method used. As doggit has said the issue seems to be with the flue liner touching and heating something inside the chimney which in turn emits fumes and faint smog in the bedroom above. I'm really grateful for all of the replies so far and there hasn't been any readings taken heat wise of the breast...that seems a bit high tech for the installers. The chaps did the work today without me present and didnt sweep the bedroom chimney...so I discovered later. apparently the sweep said it didn't need doing. Annoying as I can't eliminate that as the issue now. Anyway, that's it for the attention seeking for today. Apologies if you've taken offence and thanks again to those who have pointed me in the right direction.
As I said earlier, I suspect that your issue is a combination of your flue sitting on a blob of tar or similar that wasn't removed when the chimney was swept and smoking whilst the flue is hot, and this smoke leeching through to the neighbouring chimney either through failed feathering or through failed pointing and then down into the bedroom fire opening.. I would say that a decent sweep with a camera could pin point your issue..

If you have as you have said, a thatched roof,
I do,
chimney.jpg during the re-thatch in 2016

then the use of an insulation jacket in your flue to protect the fabric of the building X..

What should be in place of the X

If it is as you claim, then you were mugged.

That might be your opinion.

I do,
View attachment 115074 during the re-thatch in 2016

What should be in place of the X

That might be your opinion.
And a fine thatch it is too.. Needs trimming before the owner gets into swimwear... I am sure it is yours however a photograph proves little to prove ownership.. Would you like to see a picture of my new Bentley?

As for what should be in place of the "X", in your case, I would recommend a liberal dollop of "KY"... Are you asking how the flue should have been fitted? If you would like me to come out and issue a report, then that is chargeable.

I'm sure that you feel that what has been stated is my opinion but HETAS have never faulted my installations.. And I have faulted yours based on what you have told us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back