HETAS log burner smoking in bedroom

Fair enough if they've been at it for a few years, but trying to refit the connector and stove pipe still gives me concerns; and fitting a different cowl also raises questions. And although they've been back a few times, if everything had been done properly, then you wouldn't be getting smoke in the bedroom, so they've got to keep coming back until it's fixed. It could be worth getting in touch with HETAS, not to complain about them, but to see if someone's got some better suggestions for them to try.

The chimney flaunching shouldn't be a problem, so I wouldn't disturb it, and if there are bricks missing between the flues, then the liner would have overcome that, so no need to go down that route either. The liner could have been damaged when it got pulled down, but you won't know till it gets replaced. It might be worth adding vermiculite if a new liner goes down, but only as long as there's no danger of damp wicking across it.

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
The fire itself is less than 5kw tony so a vent isnt needed from what I've read although there is one in the room anyway just in case.

That is not the point.

I am wondering if the fire is producing a negative pressure in the room as a result of it's draught.

And then air is being sucked down the bedroom chimney to balance it including some flue gasses from the fire?

Does opening a window in the room with the fire stop the smoke coming into the bedroom?

Tony

Sponsored Links
worth a try that Tony to just to see. I'll be doing that tomorrow evening when I'm back from work for certain. The room its in is quite open and joins to the kitchen without a door but i'll certainly give that go and see what difference it makes. I've txt the chaps giving them an update so I'll be leaving the flaunching Doggit for now and asking them to pull out the flue liner and check it thoroughly and I'll give HETAS a call and see what they can recommend. Terrywookfit - what's a capped off smoke test? I had a look for my smoke matches this weekend with no luck but I'd like to think they would have some. I assume you mean capping off the chimney and seeing whether the smokes makes its way into the bedroom?

Tony raises a very good point (I KNOW!!).
Smoke can be leaving the terminal and sucked down via the open bedroom pot. The obvious solution being to cap the bedroom flue

FiremanT, there is no separate pot for the bedroom brick flue - its been flaunched over. Only the one pot for the downstairs fire. having said that there's probably a brick or two missing under the flaunching linking the 2 flue's and somehow the metal flue is leaking smoke - maybe down the sides of it and across the void, under the flaunching, into the bedroom brick flue and sucked down as you say. I just don't understand why the metal flue isn't proud or level with the top of the pot with no gaps down the side of it....no smoke should be getting near that area if the pot was sealed off properly with the flue in it surely. The installers tell me it is but as ive been advised here - I need to see it myself and get out there. I can see the pot about 8ft from loft window but I daren't climb out. I'll either try and put a camera on a stick or something or if the guys return ask for some photos to prove its been done properly.
Just emailed HETAS too - just to see what they suggest. No way I can stick a baby in there unless I never run the fire! Thanks for all of the replies too

Ah, Ecs, now I understand better how the chimney pots are set up (but a picture earlier would have helped) so yes, as the bedroom isn't venting into the sky, then there has to be a way of the smoke getting across to the bedroom. Get them to redo the liner, and that should sort it, and then a brick missing between the flues shouldn't be an issue.

worth a try that Tony to just to see. I'll be doing that tomorrow evening when I'm back from work for certain. The room its in is quite open and joins to the kitchen without a door but i'll certainly give that go and see what difference it makes. I've txt the chaps giving them an update so I'll be leaving the flaunching Doggit for now and asking them to pull out the flue liner and check it thoroughly and I'll give HETAS a call and see what they can recommend. Terrywookfit - what's a capped off smoke test? I had a look for my smoke matches this weekend with no luck but I'd like to think they would have some. I assume you mean capping off the chimney and seeing whether the smokes makes its way into the bedroom?
Smoke matches will do little in a closed off flue test (HETAS call it Smoke test1) You need a smoke pellet that will produce 5m3 of smoke. It is one of the tests that should be conducted on completion of every installation.

Yes, I would have expected the fire installers would have done a smoke pellet test after installing the flue.

Even as said it's unclear how smoke can be getting into the bedroom.

UNLESS the fire is allowing smoke to bypass the liner and get into the chimney around the liner

Is there a closure plate usually with 300 mm of glass fibre above to assist the seal.

Tony

Tried the fire this evening with windows open and the same old. Hopefully getting some smoke pellets tomorrow to give it a proper test too - pretty sure the guys didn't do a smoke test. Funnily enough, I've not heard back from the HETAS installer either after leaving a message...but I guess its easy to forget to return a call if you're busy.

Tried the fire this evening with windows open and the same old. Hopefully getting some smoke pellets tomorrow to give it a proper test too - pretty sure the guys didn't do a smoke test. Funnily enough, I've not heard back from the HETAS installer either after leaving a message...but I guess its easy to forget to return a call if you're busy.
If he starts ignoring you tell him you're going to call HETAS out for an inspection, that'll give him the necessary wake-up call

And tell us what the outcome is.

These kind of posts are somewhat interesting.

If only to see what bodges and omissions the installers made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back