Hi all, some help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to site.

Could someone please take the time to help me out,

"a flat profile cable is to be extended,the resistance of the circuit conductors will,

A stay the same

B go down

C go up

D change according to the tools used

now i'm sure i'm just confusing myself, i think the correct answer is stay the same but cant relly find the information anywhere,

thanks.

Sponsored Links
What textbook are you using on your college course?

Wasn't the topic covered in a lecture before they gave you the homework?

What determines the resistance of a cable? (this is a clue. Length is one of the factors)

i understand that, its the "flat profile" bit, i mean, is that there just to confuse the issue, is it irelavent that it's "flat profile"

Sponsored Links
In case you were wondering, we have a policy of not doing people's homework for them. We are sad grumpy individuals who suspect that all young people are too lazy to read their textbooks or stay awake during lectures.

hey it's cool, i dont want any of you to give me the answer, just a little guidence if i am on the wrong track, i am reading the books constently and sometimes find the terminolagy a bit much to take in! thanks!

What determines the resistance of a cable? (this is a clue. Length is one of the factors)

I dont know exactly what it means by flat profile cable (twin and earth?), but i wouldn't think its relevant. The resistance will change in line with other cables, the rules dont change.

So think what happens if you have a cable with 0.18 ohms resistance, then you stick another cable with 0.18 ohms resistance on the end of it?
What happens to resistors when you place them in series?

no im getting stumped here, getting in a right mess, this is either really simple and im being thick or i need to take a break, been constantly reading for days, weeks infact and im just getting overload, thanks for your help anyway guys,

It is simple enough to kick yourself for.
If you have a length of cable with a resistance of 0.18 ohms and add another length of cable cable with a resistance of 0.18 ohms, the conductors are now twice as long hence what would you expect the resistance of the twice as long cable to be?

OK, take a break, but if you have a book, wait until you feel better, then read the chapter on the resistance of cables.

It is simple enough to kick yourself for.
If you have a length of cable with a resistance of 0.18 ohms and add another length of cable cable with a resistance of 0.18 ohms, the conductors are now twice as long hence what would you expect the resistance of the twice as long cable to be?

well to that i would say less, but i cant find anywhere in my books that have said it like you have siad it..ARGHHHHHHHH!!! :confused: :mad:

Nope, if you have two resistors and wire them in series, what happens to the total resistance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back