Hi Viz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, Ok just wondering what people think is the best colour of Hi viz jackets, I work outside, general building maintence and should really wear one, dont know weather to get Orange, yellow. Was just wondering what other think is best colour? on roads/ gardens/ paths.... thanks.

Sponsored Links
for dull days, yellow is best..
for the height of summer you're best off with orange.. doesn't blind yourself as much..

Sponsored Links
If you want to be seen I'd go for orange. We have to wear hi-vis and they are yellow, however some of the very dirty ones do tend to almost blend into bushes and foliage which is a way of saying either is ok as long as it's washed frequently.

I find this whole 'high-vis' thing rather odd.

I wear black and green some days, you could say almost camouflage, but all my work buddies still see me.

if they're looking for you yes..
but if they happen to be reversing a van or driving a forklift etc then they are not specifically looking for you so having you stand out against a background is a huge benefit..

It depends on the environment you are working in,
I'd say if you worked in a lemon factor, orange ;)
If you worked in a orange factor, yellow ;)
But joking apart, it's true what colour least classes with the environment you work in.
If I worked in a plant that manufactured JCBs (predominantly yellow)
It stands to reason orange of the two colours, would be more effective as a stand out colour.

Where I used to work all the high visibility gear was yellow, unless your job took you onto railway property, where the only acceptable colour was orange.

One or two other customers we worked for insisted on orange, in which case they were expected to loan us their preferred colour safety vests etc.

For one project, we were issued with 'railway' HV jackets that had a 'safety feature' of sleeves designed to tear off easily in the event of an accident. However, nobody seemed too clear on what was likely to happen to the arm occupying the sleeve if such an accident did occur.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back