Hide coax cable with flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor in the pics below will be covered with laminate and underlay, exact products to be used are tbc. The plan is to fit the laminate under the skirting to avoid the need for beading. The cable you can see is standard coax used by Virgin. The flooring will be fitted by a joiner i.e. not a diy job.

If we want the cable to remain pretty much where it is (re-routing would be a nightmare for reasons I won't bore you with) do you think it's a relatively straightforward job for the joiner to accommodate this and essentially hide the cable under the flooring? My concern is most (if not all?) laminate underlay is pretty thin and therefore won't create enough height for the cable under the laminate itself without the underside rubbing on the cable and perhaps even causing a bit of a hump. I wondered if the cable could be pushed into the checked out area of skirting, however that would then possibly mean not enough space for the laminate to be inserted? Or removing the floor tiles at the edges might give more height in conjunction with the underlay?

Channeling out the floor slightly 'might' be possible, however it's concrete (high rise block) and ideally we'd like to avoid even considering that as an option.

What do you think?

20230701_172647.jpg

20230701_172744.jpg

Sponsored Links
Assuming your skirtings are at least 15mm thick you should be able to undercut the skirtings and door casings to accommodate the cable and about 10mm of fly under of the laminate.

Crossing the thresholds would be possible beneath a timber threshold strip in the gap between the laminate of each room (or laminate/carpet) providing they are screwed down carefully (avoiding the cable), or even have the cable hidden in a groove worked on the underside of the threshold (if they are thick enough). I think narrow metal thresholds might be a bit risky in terms of screwing them down whilst simultaneously avoiding hitting the cable, and I'd avoid chiselling out the flooring screed as that may be a breach of building management rules, let alone being likely to annoy everyone on 2 or more floors

Sounds like a fiddly job

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do (and definitely do not try and chase the cable into the concrete floor), make sure you don't kink the cable (so avoid all those in and out corners) and don't be tempted to swap the cable for something more flexible- it doesn't belong to you and Virgin can (and will) send you a big fat bill for interfering with their network.
Best bet is probably 8 or 10mm thick parallel strips of ply to form a channel under the laminate.

Sponsored Links
Channeling out the floor slightly 'might' be possible, however it's concrete (high rise block) and ideally we'd like to avoid even considering that as an option.

What do you think?

Any chance you could go up into the ceiling, then come back down?

What a very shoddy job done by Virgin, to be expected, when time is money..

Laminates/wooden floors are typically banned for flooring in flats. Noise transmission issues. Check your Lease first.

Fibre board underlay is about the same thickness as the coax cable so would be suitable (at cost of increased floor level = more to take off the doors to clear. Anything thinner will damage the cable and sooner or later cause problems. Covering the cable with flooring will make any future cable maintenance a nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back