Hide space above stairs.. PICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope this is the right section.. was going to put it into plastering but I guess it's building in a sense.

Above the stairs is a huge open ugly space which I want to get rid of, the house next door had this done as can be seen in pictures. I'd like to have a go myself, how would you guys go about it? all I can think of it 2 long runs of wood then plasterboard then skim.. not sure if that would be a good way though?

Big thanks in advance

Pot

Img_3869_zps5924629d.jpg

Img_3816_zps40da05ea.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did this in my house years ago. As you've suggested I used a long length of wood either side plugged and screwed to the walls and then cross pieces approx every 3ft half jointed to these side timbers. Then plasterboarded and skimmed over after (in my case) adding a layer of insulation above the plasterboard.

Just as possible food for thought: I did exactly the opposite in a small terraced house 20-odd years ago. I pulled down a false ceiling like the one you want to build, because I found it claustrobic. Have you consider how your "ugly" space might look if painted white and illuminated? It could create a feeling of space.

Otherwise, do as Honda suggests :)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Couple of firmly fixed sturdy battens either side as supports and across the back and front then fix 9mm ply on it and trim underneath with thinner ply or plasterboard to hide the supports.
Build a frame and pop on some doors .
I have attached a rather poor shot of the one I built over my stairwell.
Can't get far enough back for a good shot because of a turn on the stairs but it gives an idea.

The one on mine Bi-folds in the centre to allow you to pass when it is open but you would just have a normal door I should think.

As you can see the magnolia paint underneath did not match too well but that job is a long way down the list!

Or if you'd like a lot of space for stuff you don't need to get at very often - Xmas baubles, suitcases etc, build it like the green one, but hinged on the lower end, horizontal battens on the walls level with the top step (which you already have?), make the "door" strong enough to stand on, and put shelves in the cavity.

Looks and sounds great, but not sure it would be used so might be wasted effort. I'll stick to just hiding the large space I think.

Many thanks for all the advice and info

Build the cupboard as described but put the door in the bedroom so you then have a built in wardrobe/cupboard that is easily accessible and gives extra space in the bedroom.

Build the cupboard as described but put the door in the bedroom so you then have a built in wardrobe/cupboard that is easily accessible and gives extra space in the bedroom.

There isn't a bedroom by it, the only thing is the bathroom.. I did have a crazy idea about some mad extension of the bathroom over the top of the stairs,

SOs house has a sloping ceiling like that above the stairs - on my list is to take part of the wall out and build a wardrobe for the front bedroom. Such a space would be useful in a bathroom as well - think "airing cupboard" but it would be lacking the hot water cylinder to keep it warm.

I was thinking more along the lines of :
product.medium.png

The instructions don't generally include "DO NOT COVER"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back