Hideous noise when running water..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Whenever I run an upstairs tap or shower, there's a very good chance I'll hear a horrible groaning noise which fills the house. Hot or cold taps - same thing. Usually it stops quite quickly (30 seconds?) but sometimes it goes on for a minute of two. Sometimes switching off the supply will stop it immediately, but not always.

It really is loud. If the house wasn't detached, the neighbours would have lynched me by now.

I'm thinking air in the system? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation..

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,

I was right with you up until "fit it". Will it be obvious, or do I need a plumber?

There's a big tank near the loft hatch..

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll attempt this in the next couple of days and report back.

In the meantime,
Is the problem air in the system?
Does the plumber have to be old and wrinkly?

Had the same problem at my parents, was a worn float valve as linked above. It was vibrating causing the noise.

Easy as pie to swap out just make sure water is turned off then it's pretty much just unscrewing the connection into the valve and then unscrewing the nuts that clamp the valve to the tank.

I reused the float that was attached to the old valve.

I would make sure that the house insurance covers diy plumbing before you attempt this job.

I would make sure that the house insurance covers diy plumbing before you attempt this job.

Check with your insurance company,they may increase your premium for accidental damage to property & contents,something to do with 'risk'.

And if they find half a new valve attached to half of the old when investigating major damage from a leak, it's unlikely that they'd pay out anyway.

KenGMac is our insurance expert but I was in the industry. I'm not aware of any exclusions for DIY work but I'll have a look at my policy.

Seems a little overly cautious I think especially if your insurance doesn't cover it and you have to fork out for a plumber to do the swap, it's literally one connection, just sit by it for 5 minutes after swapping it out, if it doesn't leak then it's golden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back