Hiding pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put some heating pipes in my wall, 15MM, I cant really hide the pipes, and would like to keep the walls flat so no boxes, the wall is concrete, with a skim of plaser over the top, I have a Ferm wall chaser so this should be ok, just need to know what to do, plastic coated pipes? some have said, dont want the plaster to crack so what do you think I should do to the pipes.

Darren

Sponsored Links
I must say I have never seen pipes chased into a wall, they are usually run under the floorboards or even chased into a concrete floor.

Anyway, plastic pipe would be better for the task in hand. It is less conductive than copper so your hot water will be heating your radiators and not your wall. Plus it doesn't corrode.

VERY IMPORTANT! You don't want pipe joints buried into a wall. If they start to leak it will be very difficult to get to them. You can buy very long lengths of 15mm plastic pipe so you should be able to avoid this. If you do need to put joints in the wall, perhaps put in some kind of inspection cover (although that will spoil the appearance of your flat walls).

To avoid your plaster cracking you can either chase the pipes in deep (two inches?), or run them inside a conduit of some description.

Maybe I could use the floor, I was thinking of putting the boiler in the kitchen, and running the 22mm out and return up into the floor boards, the just t, ing all the rads upstairs off that, and running the downstairs ones down the wall. they would need to travel a long way accross the floor, I have a large hilti to rip up the floor if needed, what is the plastic same 15mm?

Downstairs the floor is solid, I have just got the house and have not moved in yet, everything is ripped out, is it easy and is it good to join copper to plastic?

I notice you have not had a reply since your last post. I will try to give some of the benefits of my experience re plastic pipe.
BUT, I must state that I am NOT a plumber.!
I have used the plastic tubing several times in the past to great effect. The best stuff I have found is 'HEP 2' (Grey in colour) it's very much more flexible and easier to handle than the DIY type white tubing. I noticed this weekend, that it was now available from Wickes.
You can by this stuff on a reel, so several meters can achieved without a join. A great advantage when feeding under floorboards or down walls. There are also some very good 'pushfit' connectors available too. Some have a fairly large collar on, and can be easily removed. Others are much slimmer in profile, but once fitted, cannot be removed. I used copper pushfit connectors on mine, to keep the joints as slim as possible.
One thing that should be noted.... The plastic tubing or pushfit plastic connectors, will break the 'Earth bonding continuity. As far as I'm aware, all the pipework in a house should be earthed. Theoretically, you may have to run a few earth wires about, to ensure all is safe.... (I'm not a sparks either, and would recommend seeking proffesional advice on this...)
As far as joining copper to plastic, the pushfit connectors will fit both tubing. So you just push on the copper one side and the plastic on the other. You have to use an insert in the end of the plastic tube, to prevent it from distorting when hot. I have never had a leak with these connectors.
It is also possible to use compression fittings, but it never feels quite right when tightening on to plastic, and I don't like it.!!
It's best to cut the plastic tubing with a purpose made cutter, to ensure the ends are truly square. I found a cheapy hand held type (Like garden secateurs) at 'The Plumb Center'

Hope this helps out a bit.
Good luck with your project.
Flashbang.

Sponsored Links
thank you. I have looked around on the net, and have found a lot of people like speedfit, is this a brand I take it?

PTS Plumbing are doing a combi pack for £695 with all the rads and piping and boiler (you can upgrade the boiler) they stated Speedfit, I like the sound of that.

I might try to hide it in the floor if I can, and maybe get some routed skirting board to hide it......mmm what do you think.

I removed some Hep2 plumbing along with my old power shower. And I have to say, it seemed pretty good stuff. The joints that had been used weren't push fit, they were compression fit but big chunky plastic joints that you do up by hand. Very easy, no leaks.

I think I would use Hep2 in a future job, but not where the joints will be visible. That would be ugly.

flashbang said:
it never feels quite right when tightening on to plastic, and I don't like it.!!

I know what you mean, but if you think about it, plastic pipe in a compression joint SHOULD make a better seal than copper pipe as it is more elastic.

I used some copper pushfit joints on copper pipe when installing my sink (couldn't get a spanner in there, and didn't trust myself with a blowtorch!), and that felt a bit odd to me. I always associate pushfit with plastic pipe (although apparently it is more likely to leak on plastic pipe).

Copper pushfit is more aesthetic than compression joints I reckon. It is almost as seamless as solder joints in appearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back