Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What do you mean by
submitted drawings
all approved
inspector came

And then
requires regularisation

If you have already applied, how can work need regularising via a second application?

When you say "approved", do you mean by Building Control? If so, you obviously made a valid Building Regulations application and there should be no question of a Regularization.

None of it makes any sense, some clarification required here :!:

Sponsored Links
ive been silenced by the flu!

one of the walls was between a kitchen and a conservatory so i have technically removed this thus creating an extension.

this seems to be the root of the issue.

ive paid it and would have done in advance had i been advised to.

i think the system could be more open and transparent but they seem super busy. Which is why i guess the previous owner got away with some of the amazing bodges that i am trying to make right

Last edited:
ive been silenced by the flu!

one of the walls was between a kitchen and a conservatory so i have technically removed this thus creating an extension.

this seems to be the root of the issue.

ive paid it and would have done in advance had i been advised to.

You will need to do a SAPS test......part L

Does the area of new glazing really account for more than 25% of the extended floor area?

Does the area of new glazing really account for more than 25% of the extended floor area?

Good point.

Would the other thermal elements need to be considered?
Or is would it not apply if building regs wouldnt apply retrospectively.

I wonder because the conservatory would have been built as b/regs exempt because it was thermally separate, but it is now a new space that has become part of the house.

It's still not making any sense. Did you take the non-drowsy lemsip?

You made an application for building regs approval, that was registered and inspections on going, and then you were told that you need to make another for the same work?

Pass me the anadin. o_O

:confused: It's making even less sense as it goes on if that is possible !

hahaha. So let me try to explain. Its an old terraced house with a ton of weird DIY jobs done on it - (9ft x 6ft opening from bedroom wall to the landing for example) It had a tiny kitchen as on outrigger and then an extension built on to square off the back of the house. As i say the extension is about 10ft x 8 and open to what was the dining room and with the old external door from the kitchen removed and another hatch cut into that same wall of about 4ft x 3ft. So to all intents and purposes it was one room. For some reason, the floor heights of both the extension and the kitchen were raised by 8 inches so there was a step up from the dining room into the extension. The roof was leaking and turned out be a bunch scraps of OSB screwed on top of the older roof and topped with visqueen and roofing felt.

All in all a dangerous, damp mess.

I stripped everything out with a view to putting in steel, putting in a glass roof on the extension (its not really overlooked much other than by 88 year old Terry next door who would have a fine view of the back part of the extension but i can live with that.) and making it safe.

I was told, wrongly i now see, that BC would just be interested in the steel, so thats the path i followed.

the inspector came when i wasnt there and then went off ill and is due to be off until the New Year.

so i called a few times, and finally someone looked at the notes and told me i was building an extension.

Fair enough, ignorance is no defence. So ive paid the extra fees and will know better next time. So now im looking at doing it the right way and praying that all the other work im doing to fix it up (insulating the loft for example - there was nothing up there but dust and a can of ancient rat poison) will get me the SAP pass i need.

and no one cares but a little part of me does want to say 'this was a ****hole held up with fence posts and spliced 4 x 4's and hot water pipes running unsupported the full height of the lower floors.....

and, worst of all, carpet in the bathroom

but ive learned my lesson and would love to get some advice on how to pass a SAP test

There are other things apart from SAP ratings for bldg. regs approval , how does the work comply in other respects . Is it being done under a Building Notice ,are there any plans ? Can woody's spaniel advise on this perhaps.

Woof. He's hiding under the stairs and does want to come out. :cautious:

But in my view, even if Hawkins was still with us, he would be hard pressed to calculate a compliant typical conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back