Hiding wood grain or texture before repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.
Re-Painting a fireplace front/surround. It is wood and would guess its pine because can see knots bleeding through in two spots. But the wood has a lot of wavy texture or pattern showing through old paint. Its not stain but uneven texture. I attach a pic and hope that will help to explain. At another spot you can see and feel the pine's ring-like pattern too - this doesnt bother me much. But this wavy texture seems like wood piece wasnt plained before installing!!

I was thinking of Zinsser BIN primer (my most used tin this year because this house is full of pines!) then a surface filler to even out texture and sand to smooth surface? Which surface filler to use though?

I have:
  • A large tub of Gyproc EasiFiller Finish (used it with good results on un-even wall surface, dries a bit slow but super easy to sand - loved it) - Can I use this?
  • A small tub of Polyfill multipurpose (good too but more difficult to sand)
  • An unopened tub of Ronseal Woodfiller (never used it so dont know how easy it is and if I would be able to get good results with it)
  • An unopened tube of Polyfilla Wood filler (never used it)
Many thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_213223414_2.jpg
    PXL_20211023_213223414_2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
It looks like it’s slightly concaved as well?

Think I’d start with a sanding first, p60 wrapped around a piece of waste/gutter pipe, if this works, just move to 120 grit and finer if needed.

Another option could be something like a reed moulding if the area is the correct width?(or close)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back