Need to flatten textured surface, will this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right where do I start.

I recently purchased a new home with my wife and had the task of undertaking the renovations myself to keep the costs down.

I built a new stud wall to house the T.V and bio fuel fire, taped the joints and Gyproc Easi filled where needed. I mist coated the filler and boards with emulsion (MATT) and then sanded again. At this point we decided to use silk and used the dulux silk paint pod paint and rolled the stuff on manually. Looked fine until the sun beams through the window and hits the wall. Here lies the problem.

The texture left is utter S**t. I have had to look at this for 6 months and enough is enough I need to sort it.

No here is my plan.....

- Sand, key the surfaces.
- Easi fil the texture flat.
- lightly sand (over 250 grit).
- mist coat with white emulsion.
- R-apply with a decent roller a further 2 times.

Hopefully sit back and enjoy.

Will this work? please say yes,

Sponsored Links
isn't that just the same as what you did before to end up with that texture?

would be best to skim it

...Not really as the paint was silk instead of my proposed Matt finish, I should of used a fine roller instead of a normal 'screwfix special' roller which may of contributed also.

Wouldn't paying a plaster to skim the whole wall be the same principal as easi filling (without the hassle of dust flying about when sanding back).

I believe the roller and silk paint caused the textured orange peel which i would prefer to flatten back.

View media item 93871 View media item 93870 View media item 93869 View media item 93872

Looking at the pictures it appears that the emulsion has gone on way too thick. Several thin coats would have been better.

Sponsored Links
That what happens when the Mrs helps you out!

The paint used was that Dulux Paintpod....Had great success in the past even applied without the machine, however this time not so good. The paint has a hardening agent to firm the paint up, to achieve a plastered finish. Here lies the problem as the texture is very difficult to sand!

So my question.

Can I easifill over the texture rather than pay a plasterer? hopefully this will flatten the texture and then re-paint with a matt and not silk emulsion to blend everything in.

Would I need to key the surface first before I paint?

It would be a bodge to use Easifill but, if you cant sand it smooth (have you tried an electric sander rather than just hand sanding?), then I suppose it might be worth giving it a go on one of the side walls to see if it works. Your main issue will be that the Easifill will be very thin in the 'dimples' and, with it being so soft, sanding may end up rubbing it all away. Give the paint a rub down first to provide a key.

This product may be a better option as it is designed for this kind of job.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TOUPRET_CACHET_BLANC__DECORATORS_SKIM_COAT/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back