high access from low level...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Houses this time of year are a spectacle of lights and decoration.
Mine isn't. It was but then the rope-light I'd carefully installed last year has started blowing fuses, so I suspect it's past it's best.
It's hung from the soffit of my front facing gable wall on hooks. It's quite high 7m ish. I put the hooks in last year when I painted the gable end, via a scaffold tower which I no longer have.
My wife has told me in no uncertain terms I'm not to be "****ing around up a ladder again" - and I kinda agree, 7m up a ladder is not my idea of fun.
I'm after suggestions for some form of hook-on-a-stick type solution - or another idea - to allow me to remove and re-instate these (or replacement) lights which doesn't involve me having to climb up anything.
access from below is largely unobstructed, ground cover is gravel.
Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Control at the end of an around 5m pole waving about in the air will be very limited, might you find it easier to reach via a window using one of those shorter gripper sticks?

How about a cheap telescopic fishing pole with a rod-rest fixed in the end to allow you to hook the light string into your existing soffit hooks?

How about a cheap telescopic fishing pole with a rod-rest fixed in the end to allow you to hook the light string into your existing soffit hooks?

A length of 32mm plastic drain would serve the same function and be much cheaper and easier to source.

Sponsored Links
Control at the end of an around 5m pole waving about in the air will be very limited, might you find it easier to reach via a window using one of those shorter gripper sticks?

Access from upstairs windows is limited, desks and such in the way, windows don't open that far and there's still reach issues.
I tried earlier with some drain rod, which I can get into position on the lower sections, but fine control is next-to-impossible, and it's very challenging to get near the apex, yet alone manipulate anything.. :(

How about you have 2 long poles, suspend the lights between them, clamped to the wall either side of the house?
No climbing and quick and easy to put up/down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back