high earth loop resistance >200ohms (rcd protected circui

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A repair eng came to repair my washing machine, but prior to working he tested my supply and found an earth fault resistance >200ohms (rcd protected circuit). then refused to carry out repairs until rectified.

my situation is as follows.
Power fed from overhead lines
Earth rod outside(sandy soil), continuity check carried out from sockets to rod ok
sockets tested with rapidtest plug all wired ok.
unable to trip RCD when short applied across earth/neutral.
neutral has floating voltage of about 2-4V

Is this the norm or do I need new RCD, earth rod/rods?
please advise.

Sponsored Links
start by asking your supplier if you can be converted to Protective Multiple Earthing (this means the supplier provides you with an earth). It might cost you £50 to £100 which wil be money well spent, they might even do it free. In the past this was not usualy offered on overhead supplies, but it is now widely available.

Try phoning the number on your electricity bill; if that gets you nowhere, send a short letter to the address on the bill (it will probably be a different company that does the work but you are not obliged to know who it is - that is your supplier's responsibility to know)

Electricity companies sometimes fob off or give incorrect replies on the phone; but they track letters and pass them on until they reach someone who can deal with them.

You will have to provide a 16mm Green and Yellow earth cable from your consumer unit to the incoming service (by the main fuse) for them to connect, but that is easy.

Sponsored Links
A repair eng came to repair my washing machine, but prior to working he tested my supply and found an earth fault resistance >200ohms (rcd protected circuit). then refused to carry out repairs until rectified.

While its a good thing on the whole that this fault has been brought to your attention... what does it have to do with the repair of the washing machine, surely he could have repaired the machine and advised you to get the electricial installation repaired before using it (or any other appliance?) Also, what if you had dragged the machine over to a neighbours house, would he have repaired the machine there? :LOL:

Anyhow, I digress, what was the ELFI reading he obtained?

my situation is as follows.
Power fed from overhead lines
Earth rod outside(sandy soil), continuity check carried out from sockets to rod ok
What did you use to carry out the continuity check? and I'm assume by ok you mean less than an ohm or so?

sockets tested with rapidtest plug
That device doesn't check the impedance of the earth path, I'm afriad

unable to trip RCD when short applied across earth/neutral.
neutral has floating voltage of about 2-4V

That sort of fault doesn't always trip an RCD in a TT system (especially one with a high earth loop reading) , technically illegal to be doing that as well... ;) , has the RCD been tested? or at the very least the test button pressed? (and it is an RCD and not an old voltage ELCB while we are at it, ins't it?)

Is this the norm or do I need new RCD, earth rod/ ?
please advise.

It sounds like you need your earth electrode sorting out, is it in a dry/sandy area? has anyone tested the Ze of the electrode, or carried out an electrode resistance test?[/quote]

Yes 30mA RCd fitted
White goods man from Hotpoint/indesit people(new company policy)
The reading he obtained was >200 ohms thats all he would say.
Continuity check was with a digital multimeter no resistance reading taken
RCD test button operates ok, RCD is only 6 years old and is an RCD
Earth rod is old and is in normally in dry sandy soil but at the moment ground is damp due to inclement weather, I live by the coast.

With a 30mA RCD the ELI could be up to 1666 ohms, although NICEIC have suggested the 200 ohm figure.

You need to establish what the correct figure is

start by asking your supplier if you can be converted to Protective Multiple Earthing ...

go on, ask them!

if they can do it you won't need the earth spike. And you will have a good-quality earth.

Yes 30mA RCd fitted
White goods man from Hotpoint/indesit people(new company policy)
The reading he obtained was >200 ohms thats all he would say.
Continuity check was with a digital multimeter no resistance reading taken
RCD test button operates ok, RCD is only 6 years old and is an RCD
Earth rod is old and is in normally in dry sandy soil but at the moment ground is damp due to
inclement weather, I live by the coast.

So, if you are pretty certain your TT earth is ok, and if the Hotpoint man made his measurement with an ordinary DVM to "condem" your installation, then I assume you don't want to go to the expense of calling an Electrician out unnecessarily?
If this is the case, then I suggest you contact Hotpoint & tell them that you will have the circuit Professionally tested, but if no fault is found, then you will Bill them for the call-out!

With a 30mA RCD the ELI could be up to 1666 ohms, although NICEIC have suggested the 200 ohm figure.

You need to establish what the correct figure is

The 200 ohms figure comes from the IEE in their guidance notes for reliability purposes, iirc the NICEIC recommend 100 ohms is not exceeded.

start by asking your supplier if you can be converted to Protective Multiple Earthing

Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on!

doyle.jpg

the 'engineer' has come back he repair my machine this time
he used a socket and see tester

http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/c2/uploads/loop.pdf

have put in new earth rod but this has made no difference to the result of the test using this instrument

Have got a new RCD unit but have not yet changed it

Any more advise would be helpful

ps still waiting for reply from my supplier on the PME issue
my house on radial circuits not ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back