High humidity - succes story

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wanted to share a success story about my fight against 65-75% humidity at my house.

1950s, semi detached, retrofitted cavity wall insulation, double glazing, suspended timber floors.

I moved to my house about 3 years ago and noticed sooo much condensation on my windows at night time/morning. some days the water was coming up all the way up the window. It was crazy. Humidity ran at 65-75%. I considered buying PIV, but I was worried about getting my house cold so I wanted to try different things first.

My humidity is now at 50-60%, averaging 55%.

This is what I have done
1. Kitchen extractor hood did not have exhaust outside, it was the "recycling type". so I ducted the fan outdoors.
2. Installed trickle vents in all my windows
3. Exchanged two set of windows, the other ones had failed vacuums. Not sure if this made any difference to overall humidity, but probably reduced condensation on the windows when I do get it.
4. Lifestyle changes - shower with open windows, use wiper to get water off the shower screen, keep bathroom doors shut for some time after shower, close kitchen doors when cooking, not letting kettle boil all the way
5. Open windows every now and then for 30 minutes or so just to circulate the air around the house.
6. Removed some insulation around old windows that do not close properly. This mean I do lose some heat, but I take is as another trickle vent, really.
7. dehumidifier - i bought one but I barely use it now!

Of course I am still keeping an eye on my humidity, I still get some condensation on my old windows, but its maybe 2-3cm at most. I am still thinking about PIV, to get even less humidity and better air quality at home.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back