High labour rates for boilers

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been getting quotes for a replacement boiler. A Greenstar 4000 30Kw system boiler is £1600 from Screwfix. Add say £200 for a through the wall flue kit and plume diverter, and £50 for sundries - so £1850 for materials. I already have a clean system with Magnaclean and an old Greenstar CDi 30Kw with rear pipework (22mm gas) so about as easy a job as a boiler change could be.

I've had three quotes - all between £3k and £3.5k. To use existing controls and to fit a new filter in order to get a longer warranty.

The quotes seem to me to have an average of a £1500 day rate! I had expected more like £500. Am I missing something or are boiler replacements seen as a cash cow?

Sponsored Links
There are no poor plumbers/heating engineers! When I was looking at hourly rates the other day my local heating engineer was charging £110ph and £167ph for an emergency callout.

Have you tried boxt?
I'm going to try them for interest.
Were your quotes from local fitters?

I think £500 is probably a little on the low side to fit a boiler. Just because of the knowledge and warranty. They do have to take exams.
As for cash cow. Yeah. To a point. It's well paid for a reason.
Plumber need £1250 or more a week wages or might as well not bother being self employed

Sponsored Links
Go with the local chap with the best reviews. Did the quotes all say they would be complete in 1 day?

GSR's have to jump through hoops to stay registered and this costs in time and money.

Plumber need £1250 or more a week wages or might as well not bother being self employed
Fair enough - a M8 of mine just retired said he used to aim for ( and get ) £1k a week night taxi driving - self employed and own car, paying tax etc.

Fair enough - a M8 of mine just retired said he used to aim for ( and get ) £1k a week night taxi driving - self employed and own car, paying tax etc.
Going rate for a PAYE plumber is probably around £7-800 a week with zero overheads. You won't get that driving for a taxi company.

Ok, I'll try and answer the question,
Market forces allow us to do so, simple as that.
I did a boiler swap yetsreday, similar situation, I'd checked it out carefully beforehand, (clean system, downstairs boiler etc etc), started at 8.30, finished for 12.30, £700 in my pocket, then went and did another 3 smallm jobs to make up the day.

I was able to do it in a short time through years of experience, had anything odd popped up, no problem, bits were on the van, and don't forget we have to pay insurance , Gassafe subs.....

If it were that easy , everyone would have a gas ticket, trust me.

Is it easy money? To me yes, I changed careers 20, yrs ago from an entirely different one, I still think of this as money for old rope, but I've spent that time building up a loyal clientele who know they can trust me implicitly.

"Got a problem, key's under the plant pot, help ypurself, just let us know what we owe you"

Thanks @kidgreen61

I guess what surprises me is that it seems to be possible to get a much higher day rate for boiler swaps than for any other work. I can't imagine you would get £1k for a day of CP15s, services and breakdowns. And I would have thought that a straightforward boiler swap would be easier work than troubleshooting or dealing with plumbing blockages.

So how have plumbers decided it's ok to double their day rate for one particular job and how has this ended up as an accepted standard?

Did the quotes all say they would be complete in 1 day?
Yes according to the Worcester datasheet the pipework is identical so might not even be any soldering. Unscrew old, mount new, swap flue, check gases and fill out the benchmark book. Probably a morning's work I would have thought if nothing goes wrong.

This is why people have a go themselves.....
It is tempting. Do the swap, pay someone £100 to "service" which would include flue gas check and adjustment if necessary, and keep the £1500 in the bank for any repairs.

For a £500 installation it suddenly becomes worth it, not having to take a day of work and getting the warranty.

I wasn't suggesting anyone actually DIY it, just that the high cost would be the reason why some will DIY it.

Yes according to the Worcester datasheet the pipework is identical so might not even be any soldering. Unscrew old, mount new, swap flue, check gases and fill out the benchmark book. Probably a morning's work I would have thought if nothing goes wrong.
there will definitely be alteration required despite pipe centres still being the same , minimal but some will need done

Market forces allow us to do so, simple as that.

I can appreciate that. But I also wonder whether it's partly to do with transparency? What would happen if gas engineers were required to itemise the bill and show the labour charge. Would there be push back from customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back