high moisture in sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

can anyone help. I e a high moisture content in my sub floor.??? Its apparently 1oo% instead of 75%.. Should i be concerned???? i was proposing to have the floor screeded and a laminate put on top, will this be ok. ???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that sort of moisture at 100% would be like a swimming pool how long has the subfloor been down also could be that the dpm has failed I would put down a liquid dpm down before screeding that should cure the problem

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a reading done for the moisture content and it 90% RH??? apparently for a wood floor to be laid it should be 75%.

So... Can i be confident that a liquid DMP would put this right???

The company that did the reading said that it could possibly be a "holed" DPM or the course in the wall has been breached ???

I am worried that i have a serious problem. Should i be worried????

Thanks

How old is the property? How long has the sub floor been down?

If the sub floor is a new one it will need time to dry out.

If not the only way to find out if the original dpm has been breached would be to dig it all up !!!

Having said that a product such as F. Balls F75 or F76 liquid dpm would give you a base on which to lay a wood floor.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the reply Flooring Man,,,, The house was built 1965 and the sub floor is that old.

Will this liquid DPM solve the problem or could i risk a problem in the future????? Is the F75 F76 a make??? Is this the best one?????

Also ...is 90% high anyway??????

A reply woud be appreciated by anyone who can help.

Thanks

yes 90% is very high. With the house been built in the 60's it will be boarder line if there is a dpm or not. May be damaged or may not have one at all. The products listed are made by a company called F-Ball. The one is a one coat system and the other a two coat system. I would advice the two coat system.

Hi Thanks for the reply

I will ask for F Ball F76. Hopefully that will lower the moisture content.

Will this then solve the problem.... or just mask it???

A reply would be helpful

i would go for the two coat ( f75 ). This will fix the problem but it is always best to dig up and replace the subfloor. As this is not practical in most cases we use the liquid dpm. Have a read of the sticky at the top of the forum for more info and also when you speak to f-ball, tell them what you are doing for advice on correct screed etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back