uncovered old parquet 'damp'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently took up all the carpets and laminate flooring in your house. Underneath was original finger parquet flooring. We didn't see any signs of moisture, but when testing the parquet with a moisture meter, the hardwood strips are 14-15%. However, the underlying concrete slab is 5-8%. I tested the meter on known dry wood and got a low reading.
Why should the parquet show high moisture content, when the screed below is dry? This is all over.
Puzzled:confused:

Sponsored Links
I wondered who kept removing my carpets! :)

The moisture content of wood depends on the humidity in the room. Is the air moist? Is there insulation under the screed? If not, then could be condensation dampness.

The moisture content of wood depends on the humidity in the room. Is the air moist? Is there insulation under the screed? If not, then could be condensation dampness.
The weird thing is this, part of the floor was laminate with a fibre underlay...bone dry, and no signs of condensation on the back of the laminate.

What meter you using to test for moisture ?

You can’t use the same measuring system for wood and concrete.

Sponsored Links
What meter you using to test for moisture ?

You can’t use the same measuring system for wood and concrete.

It is one of those dual pin affairs that has a "wood or brick" setting. I know, pretty useless. I had it to test firewood.
I will gaffer down a few squares of plastic and see if condensation forms over the weekend. I think that has to be the simplest way to see if the floor has a damp issue. If nothing appears, then the meter is giving a false reading.

I've got the dehumidifier running because the builders were mixing muck and the doors have been open to the sea breeze all day. Then I will see...

How old is your house ?

If the sub floor is older then 1975 in won’t have a damp proof membrane underneath.

If it’s been covered up moisture can be trapped under a floor covering. If the floor is breathing it might not show any signs of damp.

If we have a floor that is pre 1975 we dpm it with Ardex DPM1c which works great.

How old is your house ?

If the sub floor is older then 1975 in won’t have a damp proof membrane underneath.

If it’s been covered up moisture can be trapped under a floor covering. If the floor is breathing it might not show any signs of damp.

If we have a floor that is pre 1975 we dpm it with Ardex DPM1c which works great.

I agree dpm’s were not regs until the 70’s, but that’s not to say they weren’t used before then. The house is 1964, no way to really find out or if one knocks off plaster at floor level should the membrane be visible coming up from the slab?

Thinking I will bite the bullet and go DPM plus levelling compound. Builder will be annoyed as it will take him a day to pour.

As I said, where the screed is exposed, the meter reads low moisture....

If it’s a pin meter it can’t read moisture in concrete.
Think your best to liquid dpm it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back