High pressure in boiler - Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler (Glow Worm Swift Flow) is showing high pressure. It moves between 2.5 and 3.5. I noticed on Sat Afternoon that there was hardly any water coming out of my hot water tap but the cold tap was not as bad. I called Thames Water as we recently had a water mains on our main road burst but they fixed it. I wanted to know if this could be affecting our water again. They told me that no, there are no problems in my area and why am I calling them to tell them my hot water is not running correctly, I should look at my boiler and increase the pressure of it. I looked at my boiler and the pressure was at 1.5, like always. However, we let more water into the system like we were advised to do by Thames Water. This didn't increase the amount of water coming out of the taps. We left it and hoped it would fix itself by the morning! In the morning, no change apart from the pressure was reading 3.5. I called Thames Water and they told me they HAVE got problems in the area, people had been ringing in since yesterday afternoon! So there was nothing wrong with my boiler in the first place and the woman at Thames Water was advising wrongly, which has made me very angry. Since then I have bled my radiators but the pressure is still high, at 2.5 and when heating is turned on goes up to 3.5 then settles at 2.5 after 1/2 hour. I have been told to bled the radiators some more until pressure is back to normal. Should I do this or does it sound like something else is wrong?
I would be grateful for any advice that fixes this problem!

Sponsored Links
make sure the filling loop is closed and drain it out of a drain point

with the boiler off and cold the pressure should be approx 1.2 bar

BTW the pressure relief valve should open at 3 bar :eek:

Hi Kevplumb,

We have checked that the flling loop is closed. How do I drain it from the drain point? Sorry, really know nothing about things like this!

When the central heating is turned off the pressure sits at 2.5 and the pressure relief value doesn't seem to open at 3 bar as it goes to 3.5 and nothing happens. Why do you think that is?

Cheers
Katiel

look for one of these

drain.jpg

When the central heating is turned off the pressure sits at 2.5 and the pressure relief value doesn't seem to open at 3 bar as it goes to 3.5 and nothing happens. Why do you think that is?

could be the valve is stuck :eek: IT NEEDS SEEING TO QUICKLY

Sponsored Links
Thanks KevPlumb!
Is that also why the pressure is not going down even though we have bled the radiators? Or do you think we still need to bled the radiators till the pressure is back to normal?
What is weird is that the pressure was fine before we let more water into the system, so maybe it's not the valve that is stuck?

The pressure guage has nothing to do with your hot water it is only showing the pressure in the heating side of the boiler , either find a drain cock or keep on letting water out of a bleed valve on a radiator and the pressure will drop , you may have to let a bucketfull out so if doing it on a radiator be patient and catch all the water or you will get wet feet :LOL:

Hi Tomy,

Cool, what would the drain cock look like? I suppose it would be easier just to let more water out of the radiator?!

Cheers
Katiel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back