High pressure with Baxi combi 105e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to this site and would like some help if you kind folks don't mind :D
I've got a Baxi combi 105e and i'm having problems with the pressure
( sometime reaching 4bar !!)
Since re-fitting a radiator before Xmas, the pressure has been shooting up whenever the hot water has been used ( it may have been happening with heating too , but not sure ) reaching 4 bar. I have been lowering the pressure via a bleed valve on the nearest radiator virtually every day for the last month or two. But I've noticed the pressure appears to be rising thru the night when heating/Hwater are not being used . The filling loop is still attached , could it be a dodgy filling loop ( staying open ? ) as this was used after re-fitting radiator .
Sorry for the long post, and answers appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As kev said, replace the prv, as this is a crittical safety component for the safe operation of your boiler. Hope the installer left the instructions with you? If they did, there is a section in the installation instructions on how to replace the parts of the boiler fella...

The filler loop should be removed once the system pressure has been replenished. Suitable caps be put on to stop any leaks. Failed tap on the filler loop is quite a coomon fault, also, the non return valve can go as well. Read the instructions and remove the temporary filler loop, as that is what it is, a "temporary," filler loop ;)

Got the PRV, but does anyone know how to drain this boiler ?

As you're changing it anyway you may as well open the old one to drain off, but I would sort out the rising pressure first as you may get muck on the new PRV seat and ruin that one as well.

Ok undo the front panel scres remove the big front panel above. to the right of the pump behind is a white tap attched to that is a small drain point. Close the cold feed and heating flow and return taps under the boiler. Put a sutiable container under the drain point and drain down till pressure gauge reads 0 or no more water comes out. fit new prv and refill boiler pressure, also, you need to take the air out of the pump by undoing the chrome screw on the front and make sure the auto air vent ontop of the pump is open one full turn fella...

If you are unsure read the manufacturer instructions, they are a doddle to follow ;)

You probably haven't dealt with actual problem which will be faulty expansion vessell. it obviously isn't taking expansion up. needs pumping up or replacing.

Most of the advice regarding PRV and expansion vessel has been good. However, I came across one a couple of months ago where the pressure was still rising even with the filling loop disconnected. The culprit was a tiny perforation in the DHW heat exchanger allowing secondary water to mix with primary water. Very rare, but possible.

I would still go with removing the loop, changing the prv and checking the EV pressure first.

Most of the advice regarding PRV and expansion vessel has been good. However, I came across one a couple of months ago where the pressure was still rising even with the filling loop disconnected. The culprit was a tiny perforation in the DHW heat exchanger allowing secondary water to mix with primary water. Very rare, but possible.

I would still go with removing the loop, changing the prv and checking the EV pressure first.

ive come across that one aswell

h/ex £30 inc says it all ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back