high voltage fan in bathroom

How do you stand for a manufacturers instruction requiring a 3A fuse though?

I don't.
I've never fitted a fused spur when fed off a lighting circuit and to be honest never seen one wired by anybody else with both a fused spur and a triple pole isolation switch.

Sponsored Links
So you are therefore failing to install it in compliance with the manufacturers instruction and therefore does not comply with BS7671.
I prefer to fit a 3A fused spur and isolator to this type of setup.

any preference in cabling i should be using to wire it up and for the low voltage part?

So you are therefore failing to install it in compliance with the manufacturers instruction and therefore does not comply with BS7671.

How does it not comply with BS7671? Have you got a specific reg at hand?

Is it similar to those choosing not to install an RCD for a shower even though the manufacturer requests it? (16th edition).

Sponsored Links
In the 17th edition, fundamental requirement 134.1.1

Nothing in the current edition though which is what we're currently working to so compliant with BS7671:2001

Seems they added the bit about 'in accordance with the manufacturers instructions' for the 17th.

Ah well, 3A fused spurs for installations designed from the 1st July then!

It has always been the way that I have been taught that the manufacturers instructions over-rule the IEE regs anyway.
As for the 17th edition, you will also need to look into providing RCD protection too.

From your very own wiki... The SFCU does the business for isolation and fusing per manf. requirements, and of course the lamp is unaffected.
electrics:lighting:plugwashed.jpg

-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back