High Ze

Well I phoned the Dno. (now western power) got straight through and they logged my concern and would be in touch to arrange a visit. 10 mins later I get call from local office and they offer march 5th I ask for anything sooner they put me on hold come back and ask if I would like to request as a dangerous install I say yes because I won't reinstate supply in current state. 2hrs later (6.00pm) get call they are at property. I ring customer - Meet them show them the problem they make me a tea (western power van has genny and kettle) - change to PME - Ze 0.23. Customer over the moon. Hats off to western power. And thanks to everyones advice.
British gas representative (his supplier) offered to change his supply also.
For a cost.

Sponsored Links
Customer was so pleased he offered me £100. I declined and give him my just doing my job speech ! After all it was western power who did the graft. I did take £40 snotts though for the hour I stood there drinking tea and smoking a couple of silk cuts. !

It doesn't make any difference. The same rules apply to out buildings with E-C-Ps whether the supply is TN-S or TN-C-S

You either extend the equipotential zone or TT the external supply.

So if you exported the earth from a tns to an outbuilding that had e-c-p and then the supply was converted to a pme, the outbuilding would then need to be tt'd and the cpc cable be disconnected from the earthing terminal in the outbuilding.

Honestly Rob, i really would like to be corrected as if I learn something from a discussion, i stand corrected but not embarrased, i learn.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't make any difference. The same rules apply to out buildings with E-C-Ps whether the supply is TN-S or TN-C-S ... You either extend the equipotential zone or TT the external supply.
So if you exported the earth from a tns to an outbuilding that had e-c-p and then the supply was converted to a pme, the outbuilding would then need to be tt'd and the cpc cable be disconnected from the earthing terminal in the outbuilding.
Honestly Rob, i really would like to be corrected as if I learn something from a discussion, i stand corrected but not embarrased, i learn.
I think all he was saying is that the change to PME would make no difference. If there were a need to do as you suggest (i.e. because e-c-ps in the outbuilding did not have adequate main bonding via the CPC of the supply cable) after conversion from TN-S to TN-C-S, then you theoretically should have done the same when it was TN-S. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Kind Regards, John.

Well I phoned the Dno. (now western power) got straight through and they logged my concern and would be in touch to arrange a visit. 10 mins later I get call from local office and they offer march 5th I ask for anything sooner they put me on hold come back and ask if I would like to request as a dangerous install I say yes because I won't reinstate supply in current state. 2hrs later (6.00pm) get call they are at property. I ring customer - Meet them show them the problem they make me a tea (western power van has genny and kettle) - change to PME - Ze 0.23. Customer over the moon. Hats off to western power. And thanks to everyones advice.
British gas representative (his supplier) offered to change his supply also.
For a cost.

I've never really had a bad experience with Western Power - they seem a pretty solid company with commitment to keeping the network maintained rather than making oodles of cash being their primary motivator. Reading all these other experiences of the hoops other DNOs (especially EDF it seems) make you jump through and the fees they charge, I'm glad I am where I am.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back