Free Electrical Checks - Prompted By Another Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a free electrical check flyer come in through the door from our current provider so may take them up on it, to get an idea of what they think.

Free electrical checks are worth every penny you pay for them.

Don't get me wrong, I see great merit in a full PIR.

However, we do free electrical checks and they are useful on their own.

I did one today.

A 17th board on what looked like a PME supply.

But then I got 13.9 Ohms Zs.

So is it PME?

Looked at the EIC. Badly filled out (just a tick for r1+r2) and claiming a rod resistance of 202 Ohms, later described as "on the limit"...

But then, later in the cert, a Ze of 15.8???

Anyhow, the cut-out was not labelled PME and the EIC mentioned a rod which did not have an inspection chamber.

Could I find it? Could I bu**ery!!

So, we have a TT supply with an earth connection to the cut-out, no rod visible & a Ze of 13.9.

PEB's to gas and another to a pipe which disappears into a concrete floor, which the customer insists has a stopcock buried in it...

So I "AT RISK" the installation as the earthing seems to be derived from the supply pipework.

Wanted to talk to the installer of the new board, but he would not answer his phone. ;)

Sponsored Links
Just done another today.

A house which had a major fire 2 and a half years ago.

Some circuits rewired into a CU with 100A incomer. Others remain wired into old brown Wylex boards with wooden backs...

No PEB to water pipe.

No test certs. No PIR. Rubber cabling evident around the property.

All work carried out by insurance company's contractors.

What would be the first thing I'd do after a fire?

Initially, full IR tests, followed by PIR. Why wasn't this done? How did they know the installation was safe to reconnect?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back