pme question (now with pics)

While the DNO are there connecting your earth, get them to check the fuse is 100A, not 60.

Sponsored Links
tawelfryn

When you take the cover off to connect the earth cable you have to knock out the plastic in the cut out to gain access to the terminal, not to mention you need an insulated tool for the grub screw.

When you are doing that the incoming live cable to your house is pretty much exposed, or too exposed for my liking for anyone to be doing it who has to ask the questions you have.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to connect it please. You don't want to be opening the cut out. Bad idea!

Ok Har_vey thanks. I would try to get my mate back, but he never turns up when he says. He started running 1st fix with me when the house was gutted, but then never turned up to finish it, so needs must I had to do it myself, it was a sharp learning curve. I have just emailed my uncle who has just retired as a spark of 40 years, so hopefully he could do me a favour.
If all else fails, pulling the 60A will isolate the supply to the cut out to connect the earth wont it?

Sponsored Links
in theory, but you don't know which parts ARE still live, which is dangerous!

Pulling the service fuse will only isolate the very top part of the enclosure (Where the live tail goes out!). The rest of the enclosure will still be live.

Seriosuly, I'd get your earth wire ran to your MET , then phone the DNO and tell them your PME has no earth wire coming out of it, and tell them it has NEVER been there.

They should send somebody round like a shot! After all it is their responsibility to provide you with an earth - and as you are not allowed to hack into their enclosures , it is their responsibility to get you connected.

They will also seal up your meter (AGAIN!!). Might be worth wiring in a DP isolator , before they arrive (as your fuse is already unsealed) , then when they seal it up, if you want to work on your consumer etc in the future, all you have to do is flick the DP iso to off!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back