pme question (now with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I refurbished my house 2 years ago, including new wiring. All working fine etc, but I have known all this time that we do not have an earth rod, only pme, which isnt connected up to my fuse board. The pipes in my home are all earthed and cross bonded, inc the gas supply, and thats the only pipe i can think of going to earth as my water supply is alkathine.
Is it the electric boards responsibility to connect this? as its their side of the meter, and, is my house earthed at the mo?

Sponsored Links
tawelfryn said:
only pme, which isnt connected up to my fuse board.
what isnt connected to your fuse board ?

PME has the earth with it, thats why you dont have an earth rod

JohnD said:
Another Spoof post surely?

No way.

You of all people must know the PH value of the water is critical to determine the type of earthing arrangements. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
tawelfryn said:
I refurbished my house 2 years ago, including new wiring. All working fine etc, but I have known all this time that we do not have an earth rod, only pme, which isnt connected up to my fuse board. The pipes in my home are all earthed and cross bonded, inc the gas supply, and thats the only pipe i can think of going to earth as my water supply is alkathine.
Is it the electric boards responsibility to connect this? as its their side of the meter, and, is my house earthed at the mo?

You in s**t.

"is your house earthed?" i dont know! You tell us! We aint pyschic! "hows my car doing for diesel?" come on, use your psychic powers!

You have a PME supply, which isn't connected to the fuse box. So theres an earth wire coming off the service fuse, just hanging? If so, connect it to your earth in the fuse box and also, somehow, to the main bonding. If theres no such wire coming off the service fuse, ring your supplier ASAP and tell them your house is in risk of burning down and electric shocks etc. They'll be round within the hour. ;)

Im new to this forum so here goes

Yor PME earth should have been conected when the meter was put on.
If its not connected it needs URGENT attention. It will need to be connected since you can not depend on the Bonding connection to the incoming services to provide a staisfactory earth path. ( is possible that the water or gas or whatever is bonded is not continuos )

Scott

Pensdown, by the way, isn't "alkathine" a type of plastic pipe? I thought there was a flavour of plastic that sounded like alkaline! I may be very, very wrong. Perhaps Softus could advise???? :LOL:

Leg Pull vs. Leg Pull.

plenty of bites tonight.

sdminus said:
Im new to this forum so here goes

Yor PME earth should have been conected when the meter was put on.
If its not connected it needs URGENT attention. It will need to be connected since you can not depend on the Bonding connection to the incoming services to provide a staisfactory earth path. ( is possible that the water or gas or whatever is bonded is not continuos )

Scott

But his water is Alkaline.........

Edit..But his pipes are Alkathine ;)

It may well be but you can not rely on it. You must have a full time earth.

The main bond is not there to provide the only means of connection to the supplies earth.

If you are using the main bonds as your only means of earthing then i would suggest you install a earth stake and attach it to your main earthing terminal (MET)

Get a earth connected

Scott

crafty1289 said:
Pensdown, by the way, isn't "alkathine" a type of plastic pipe? I thought there was a flavour of plastic that sounded like alkaline! I may be very, very wrong. Perhaps Softus could advise???? :LOL:

Don't you dare drag Softus into this forum :LOL:

tawelfryn said:

It's your responsibility to provide the cable from your MET to the cut out to pick up the connection to existing PME if it is there. If you have managed to rewire your house then providing said cable shouldn't be a problem for you. If you have done that already and the cable is just hanging there, then yes it's down to the supplier to drop it into the cut out, technically. Although they might want a completion certificate before they would connect it.

Have you ever had the installation tested? That would be a very good idea, and you might find the electrician who does that has a special tool for connecting said cable.

Even if everything has been working fine for two years, it sounds like you would seriously benefit from having an inspection carried out.

When I say seriously? I mean like, get on the phone, today!

Ok thanks for your replies. I have attached a couple of pics to help try to explain. The supply has not changed since I bought the house a few years back, ie the PME was never connected to the old wiring, all thats been changed is from new board on, oh and some new tails from the token meter as the old ones were short, (dont tell anyone!)
Ps the thick black cable above, is not connected as thats a 6mm armoured which has been run up to my garden for when I build my garage, its there for when I do.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back