pme question (now with pics)

Nice one Adam, thanks,
Do you mean by fuse fairy, the blackening on the 60amp?
If you do, no it hasn't blown while I have been here, just still stinking dirty from all the black mortar flying about from dropped ceilings etc!

Sponsored Links
tawelfryn said:
I refurbished my house 2 years ago, including new wiring. All working fine etc, but I have known all this time that we do not have an earth rod, only pme, which isnt connected up to my fuse board
1143656844_h.gif

ban all sheds thanks for your constructive criticism, we all cant be "as good as you" at everything

Fuse fairy... the fairy that arrives at a service intake just before an electricion needs to replace a board and snips the PoCos security seal (see the 'lugs' at the base of the carrier that it loops through), also known as "the guy that was here before me, guv" :LOL:

The PoCo is reluctant to authorise an electrician to fuse pull becuase its potentially dangerous, so they tell him not to for I presume legal reasons, but they never really seem to care when the seal is missing

Sponsored Links
LOL! Oh I see what you mean now! I like that one, the fuse fairy. Yes, I pulled the 60A to make sure it was completely off when I connected new tails to the token meter. (another seal broke!)

PoCo! LOL! Reminds me of the ECN (American) forum!

I would also find a blanking plate (or if push comes to shove, a spare MCB) to fill the gap in your consumer unit front! attempting to re-instate an MCB in the dark (damn blowing bulbs tripping MCB's!) could have dangerous consequences should your fingers wonder!

tawelfryn said:
ban all sheds thanks for your constructive criticism, we all cant be "as good as you" at everything
There is a huge difference between simply not being very good, and being so grossly incompetent and dangerous that you knowingly leave an installation without an earth for 2 years.

PompeySparks said:
PoCo! LOL! Reminds me of the ECN (American) forum!
Sorry, I've been reading that lately, started to pick up a few yank terms :oops:

First of all, if you read my earlier post, it was like it when I bought the house, no earth going to the old board from the PME, so I presume when the electricity board ran this new supply, they come under your "grossly incompetent and dangerous" category as well? All I have done is renew my house wiring, (all correct and tested I might add, 4 socket ring mains, 3 lighting, and all second fix, and all worked first time, and no I am not a spark) with also earth bonding as well, My original post was is this sufficient OR do I need to connect the PME and are the electricity board responsible in doing it?
This question was asked as I find this forum very helpful, and I also answer other peoples questions the best I can, thats what its about

tawelfryn said:
(all correct and tested I might add, 4 socket ring mains, 3 lighting, and all second fix, and all worked first time, and no I am not a spark)

no disrespect tawelfryn, but when you say tested, what tests did you carry out?

No disrespect taken Har_vey, My mate who is a spark tested with his equipment, Multi meter i presume? I may be wrong, but he said everything is working fine.

tawelfryn said:
First of all, if you read my earlier post, it was like it when I bought the house, no earth going to the old board from the PME, so I presume when the electricity board ran this new supply, they come under your "grossly incompetent and dangerous" category as well?
Possibly.

All I have done is renew my house wiring,
Yes - and when you did that 2 years ago, you saw that you had no earth, and you did nothing about it, and have done nothing about it for 2 years!

(all correct and tested I might add,
No - not "all correct". Very much not "all correct".

with also earth bonding as well, My original post was is this sufficient
No way.

Not for 2 days, let alone 2 years.

OR do I need to connect the PME
OF COURSE YOU DO.

and are the electricity board responsible in doing it?
I wouldn't worry about that - safety is more important.

tawelfryn said:
No disrespect taken Har_vey, My mate who is a spark tested with his equipment, Multi meter i presume? I may be wrong, but he said everything is working fine.

erm . . . tell your mate he has no business being a spark. EVER. Did he have any big black boxes that plug into a standard socket? Did he mention anything about an earth loop impedance? And insulation testing?

I cant remember crafty, done something that sends 500 volts through or something like that? and the meter counted down to the result?

Ban_all_sheds, I will be doing it, I have the earth cable to do it, its all I wanted to know, you have been a great help and all the other sparks here, and thanks to Adam he has shown me where to connect it in his pic. (Actually thinking about it, its not 2 years, more like 14 months or so, since I completed all the house and moved back in)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back