Measuring Ze and Zs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, there I was with an electrician all lined up to put a new CU in (many thanks for the advice and comments BTW) when he disappears... Turns out he's gone to Spain to look after his (very elderly) parents who've been taken ill. And I can't get another electrician (that I trust anyway). I haven't given up completely, but am contemplating doing this myself.

So I've now got a (use but still in calibration) Seaward DL-750, but it only comes with a standard 13A plug: which is not obviously suitable for measuring Ze. I've tracked down a supplier of the appropriate leads but they don't have any at the moment. I could wait (it's not that urgent) but two things occur to me.

1. The existing 13A lead is just a conventional IEC-type power lead with the fuse removed. I've got lots of these and could adapt one easily by removing the 13A plug and adding clips/probes as appropriate. Seems a bit dodgy I admit.
2. I could add a temporary radial and measure Zs, then measure R1+R2 and calculate Ze. This would avoid the need to poke probes at the incoming phase terminal, which isn't something I'm that bananas about doing so given a choice, I like this idea more. (I know I don't have to add the temp. radial to do this, but it does seem a safer - not having lots of connected sockets with the main bonding off.)

For info, the REC has explicitly told me that pulling the fuse to replace the CU is OK - and they deliberately did not seal it for that reason.

Neal

Sponsored Links
you could just get a mains lead and wire it directly to a spare breaker to do the test.

plugwash said:
you could just get a mains lead and wire it directly to a spare breaker to do the test.
Now why didn't I think of that? :D

So I'm not being completely insane then?

Neal

also shouldn't you connect the tester to the main earth and not to all the cuircuit earths

otherwise you could have parrallel paths via suplementry bonding and pipes in the ground.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
also shouldn't you connect the tester to the main earth and not to all the cuircuit earths

otherwise you could have parrallel paths via suplementry bonding and pipes in the ground.

I was going to have all circuits (and main bonding) disconnected when I did this - it'd basically be a conventional earth loop test if I didn't?
Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back