High zs on shwoer circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a shower circuit for someone but when i come to test i can't seem to get the zs value for my showere below 1.79, which i no is high, the shower is on an rcbo i just need to no what i can do to get the value down and why this could be happening.

Sponsored Links
What is the prospective fault current reading? With a RCD the to earth value is not so important but if for example a B40 MCB is used then 200A needs to flow to open it using the magnetic part of the trip (5 x 40) so if the PFC exceeds 200 you are OK.

What is Ze could that be problem? and how much cable is used? and does it go through any switches or junction boxes which could raise the reading through a bad connection.

The reading you give seems too low for TT system and too high for TN-C-S but could be correct for TN-S so what sort of supply do you have?

What type of earthing system is present ? Have you measured Ze ?
What size cable have you used and how long is the run ?
Are all connections sound and isolator switch in good order ?

Its all sorted now i went and took another reading and it was 0.64 with a ze of 0.24. Don't no why it was so high last time though?

Sponsored Links
10.0mm and about 20 metres. Isn't 0.64 with in regs though?

0.64 is within the allowed range, but it still seems very high.

A 20m length of 10mm T+E should have a R1R2 value of about 0.13,
so with a Ze or 0.24,
Zs should be around 0.37 or so - the measured value could well be less due to parallel earth paths etc. Certainly not anywhere near 0.64

As you have measured before and got a much higher value, it suggests a loose connection somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back