Hight of walls for lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys currently self building single storey extension,all great so far blockwork up cavity 100mm,minor issue I need to gain 100mm in height for ig lintel

Concrete block external toplight internal

Best options

100mm coursing blocks all the way around ?

Or a cheaper way of cutting a few blocks around area etc... Iv seen a L shape cut from concrete block,hopefully makes sence,but unsure on that option.

Thanks

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Your 100mm course will throw you out at eaves height- if you're rendering the blocks then yeah get the disc cutter out and make some odd shaped blocks. Does the top of the lintel come out on gauge- if not make sure you're not trying to mess on with 20mm slivers of block, either miles out or spot on.

All to be rendered, the opening is 3.9 metres and current wall height are all in line matching height etc,would the cutting the funny l shapes with disc cutter pass building regs,this would be the heavy duty ig would be sitting..

Thanks

Oh, it's a flat roof extension if that helps all rendered..

Sponsored Links
Definitely seen that photo before,that's exactly what I was trying to refer to,only one heavy duty going in above bi-fold doors (IG),i could simply cut the two L shapes to corners and fill above lintel with Cuts above lintel to bring all in line.This would give me a 100mm for lintel to sit on with 150 overhang...would this definitely meet building control???

Thanks again guys,once this is all over would love to start contributing to help others..

Its the cuts above that'll attract attention- long as they are decent size (50 mm plus) it'll be fine. 150 bearing is the minimum, long as you make that it'll be ok

Fantastic,sitting on 100m cut L blocks,should give me around 115mm above lintel.

Thanks the help lads,much appreciated.

just thought I would mention building control have been great so far,first time dealing with them,I have changed all clay sewages pipes under ground re-routed pipes for island sink,laid slab etc...very easy going have just told me to crack on with walls and roof structure untill next visit..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back