Hilti Guns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to fit a parking pole to a basement garage space. I realise that I can drill the 150mm concrete but wondered if there is a hilti gun type fixing that would be quicker and easier to use for this purpose?
There is no power in the basement so it would be cordless or generator I would need to hire for fixing the 3 x 16mm bolts . Any alternative fixing suggestions would be really helpful.
Thanks.
Rob

Sponsored Links
A long extension lead and a mains SDS drill.Or a power inverter and a mains SDS drill.

can we extrapolate from the description that you live in some fancy flats and that yours is a considerable way from the ground floor hence the need for cordless power in the basement?

hilti guns won't be any good for a parking post, you want some proper big bolts in proper deep holes, not a few poncy nails..

do you have permission to put the parking post in?
and what is a parking post? presumably the thing that you pull up behind the car to stop them driving away with it? if so then bolt down ones are pretty much useless, you can push them over with the car easily..
you want proper big concrete into the ground ones..

Coljack,
how do you get to the fancy flats bit? Thats like me saying that because of the tone of your reply you must live in a cave!

You say that hilti nails are poncy? very descriptive and I assume thats based on your experience and knowledge. I thought that they could hold steelwork together but what do I know??

do you have permission to put the parking post in? Not your concern!

what is a parking post? presumably the thing that you pull up behind the car to stop them driving away with it? if so then bolt down ones are pretty much useless, you can push them over with the car easily..
you want proper big concrete into the ground ones..

Very usefull reply, so how do you remove the concrete ones to get the car in??
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
I got to "fancy flats" because it's those that generally have underground parking structures with alocated parking spots, and partly because you can't run an extension lead out there indicating a long distance from your place of residence, nothing to do with the manner you posted etc..

the nails are use to fit stationary things together and aren't generally used under tension along their axis, rather used for shear reasons...
a nail is easier to pull out the way it went in than sideways, and if you hit the post with a car it will pivot and pull the nails out..

the concrete in posts either slide down into the gound ( sometimes by hand with pneumatic assist, sometimes electrically..), or are lifted out of a socket ( and secured down with a lock. )..

Hilti guns etc are great for fixing anything to steel , due to the fact that as the nail penetrates the steel, it quite literally welds itself to the steel. Into concrete, it won't be as strong a fixing. Perhaps if you give us some details of the parking post, people may offer a better solution. (or at least a stronger solution).

Thanks for all of your replies which have been helpful. The parking post is like this one and is to secure the parking space that I own, but often cannot get into.

View media item 24790
I think that I will have to go for the bolt down option and will look at the SDS drill and perhaps the inverter.
Thanks again
Rob

Last time I fitted a ground anchor bolt heads had hex head for allen key , after securing a ball-bearing is hammered into the head preventing removal.

Also you need a licence for the cartridge type hilti guns,and you need to be bloody lucky and accurate not to blow a fecking great hole in the concrete especially as the bolts will be in such close proximity.
I think the diameter of most hilti stuff would be to small for what you want.
A drill and some resin should sort you

Last time I hired a Hilti Gun, I was asked for my licence (from Hilti) before they would hire it to me. Whereas the chap said , if I was buying one I wouldn't have been asked. ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back