Spit gun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have several jobs needing fixings to brick/concrete to do on a renovation, the first one is to brick up a number of window openings.
I've been offered a Spit 200 gun cheaply, would this be suitable for fixing brick ties to the sides of the windows?.
Presumably a bigger model would be needed to fix 2 x 4s to a brick wall?.

Sponsored Links
Can't say I'm really a big fan of these types of fixing systems, but then each to his own. Also I think that you are correct in thinking that a 200 does not have the capacity for fixing 4x2's although someone else may be able to confirm this or not.
I myself favor the good old fashion drill and plug method, it's more versatile and easy to remove although the last point has been nutured by working for architects who just can't make up their minds!
For bricking up windows is toothing in not an option?

Toothing them out as said is far better if possible. Much less prone to cracking once plastered/ rendered. Lady lola ever used concrete screws? No plugs needed just like a hammer fixing but better. Great kit and removable.

r869neo I've seen the concrete screws that you refer to or at least something like them although I've never used them myself.Nearly all of my work is restoration and bodies such as English Heritage are involved and this leads quite often to fixing problems as old stonework for example is treated as something holy that we can not drill into, joints only. Given that this is more than not a lime mix getting a firm fixing can be awkward. I once had a b*****king for fixing into a stone at Ludlow Castle.I found this a little hard to take as we were fitting safety barriers and rails and just useing the joints for fixing would have left on some side only one screw, surely not good enough for something people would lean on to look over the views?
Because of this problem of joint fixings we sometimes have to resort to a fixing of stainless allthread and resin which is expensive, slow and difficult to remove. Not really an option for the original poster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of that. It looks like toothing is the simplest option then, it's actually blocks I'm using so I'll just set to with the stihl saw. It's what used to be external walls in what is now an extension.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back