HINGES DON'T MATCH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi –

I have conservatory doors which open outwards into the garden. I have replacement hinges of similar size but for the screw positions to match the existing hinges I would need to reverse them which would of course place the countersinks on the inner face? To elaborate: the 3-knuckle side of existing hinge is fixed to the door frame and the top screw hole is to the left of centre rather than in the centre as it would be with the replacement hinge. Are my existing hinges oddball or obsolete or some different specification?? I will appreciate advice as, rather than a simple change of hinges, the alternative will be to fill all existing screw holes and completely re-hang both doors. (I know I could (possibly) countersink the new hinges on the reverse side but I don’t fancy doing this with 48 holes!).

Regards.

Attachments

• CONSERVDOOR HINGE_02.JPG
    CONSERVDOOR HINGE_02.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, the only thing I didn't mention was the size - they're satin steel 101 x 72mm (not sure equivalent Imperial size?) and they're also from SFix, costing about £1 per pair. The ones you mention certainly seem to have a similar hole pattern - their size is slightly different and they're also quite expensive in comparison at 7 and 11 times the price! - but they do show the hole pattern isn't oddball after all. It's strange there's no consistency, or an option to choose either hole pattern? - it's also strange that this hole pattern is only found in the very expensive hinges. I would like to buy cheaper steel hinges if possible - it's just a question of finding a supplier.
Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestions.
I had actually considered those options. Of course I would be countersinking into existing countersinks on the opposite side with the risk of a large hole or certainly a very weak area as the hinges are only about 1mm thick. With regard to new screw positions these would be very close to existing screw holes so I would probably need to fill in the existing holes. I did actually try this with a well-known tube of wood filler which didn't work too well. So I bought the well-known's 2-part filler which I believe is better with a view to trying that. Another idea I tried was to enlarge the screw holes and glue in a short length of dowel. Yet another option is to try and revive the existing hinges. Off the shelf paint stripper is weak stuff these days and I may get something that is more effective. The very best and easiest solution would be to obtain identical new hinges which has proved to be annoyingly difficult!
Thanks again.

Thanks for both bits of information above.
Actually it was the 72mm that confused me. 4" x 3" seemed a natural Imperial size to me which would be about 102 x 76mm or nicely rounded to 100 x 75mm. Having said that, my existing hinge (which I'm sure is Imperial) does measure about 100 x 72mm! Maybe it's effectively 3" (76mm) when installed?

To me they look like steel hinges, the older ones used to be thicker, but they look they should replace, hole positions hmmm! Good luck, I've come across some that I would say yes they are okay... Then they are 2-3mm out which makes it more interesting!

Yes, I think they're steel and could be 1.5mm thick (1/16"). I've already come across being 2-3mm out with an old chrome hinge I tried - I'm not sure tooth picks and glue would work in that situation? In that instance I enlarged the hole, glued in a 9mm dowel, and drilled into it. And that's why I bought some well-known 2 part wood filler as it can apparently be drilled. As you've probably gathered there's no great urgency with this job so I don't mind a bit of experimentation but I'm hoping to finish before lockdown is lifted!
Thanks for your reply.

Tooth pick? Nah glue and widget some bits of wood with a chisel and Stanley knife. Watching those pinkies of course.
Personally wouldn't have drilled a larger hole.
Anyway have a good one!

I suppose everyone has their preferred methods. In my case the new hole worked out in the centre of the dowel (exactly as planned?!). I've certainly used toothpicks to fill out a rawlplug when it's become loose - that seems to work. So far I've still got all my pinkies!
Thanks for your advice.

Seek and ye shall find!
HINGES_CROPPED.png These apparently came from SFix some years ago - they still stock them but for some reason the top screw hole is now located in the centre rather than the left of centre??
HINGES_CROPPED.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back