Hinges help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be very grateful for some help with replacement door hinges (3) which would do the job and I have been unable to find.

This a solid wood back door and I understand it is described as a rebated door.

I attach pics (door is white inside and brown outside)

Thanks for help

mygoose

Sponsored Links
Not much help, but these are a European Screw Door Hinge.
Popular in France & Spain, but no idea of UK availability.

Sponsored Links
Not much help, but these are a European Screw Door Hinge.
Popular in France & Spain, but no idea of UK availability.

Thank you for your reply but Oh!

We had our door purpose-made by a firm in Surrey some 20 years ago but the firm has long gone. We were told some while ago that we couldn't match the particular hinge to get one as it was discontinued but called bullet hinges and plenty around. The trouble is that I don't know what I'm talking about and don't know anything about hinges . They need to be replaced now as have been damaged in a break-in.

Be grateful for any help.
mygoose

Why not remove a hinge and visit an ironmongery supplier to get a match.

Thanks. The door is much too heavy for us to do that.

We do not have much commerce here and have not had much luck locally (and some disasters) and it's now left to me to find what is needed and hopefully will get someone to fit it.

Thanks for help
mygoose

Well if you intend getting someone to do it for you then just employ them and get them to locate suitable replacement hinges then. Any door fitter worth his pay will know of a suitable replacement. :confused:

Well if you intend getting someone to do it for you then just employ them and get them to locate suitable replacement hinges then. Any door fitter worth his pay will know of a suitable replacement. :confused:

Yes but we don't have any commerce around here and we have already had some disasters trying to get fitters to obtain them.

I need to identify what is needed and a source and hopefully the supplier will be able to recommend a reliable fitter.

Thanks for help

mygoose

If the door has 3 hinges you will be able to remove one of them safely for the purposes of taking better photos/taking dimensions, which is will be needed to identify a replacement.

If the door has 3 hinges you will be able to remove one of them safely for the purposes of taking better photos/taking dimensions, which is will be needed to identify a replacement.

Thanks. The door is much too heavy for us to do that

Why? Remove the middle hinge, what do you think is ging to happen when you remove a single hinge? Why do you have to take the weight of the door?

Was the breakin covered by insurance?
If yes, then try using the insurance company, they will have a list of reputable tradesmen.

Was the breakin covered by insurance?
If yes, then try using the insurance company, they will have a list of reputable tradesmen.

Thank you for the thought but no it wasn't that kind of break in.

I just need to find a supplier of this type of hinge or a type of hinge that will do the job and it will be fine.

Thanks for help
mygoose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back