Hinges on thin MDF

thanks. In the words of columbo “just one more question”!

Pallet timber. I googled a few places, I assume you get pallet timber actually still in pallet form so you have to pull it apart, remove the nails and varnish it?

can you actually buy pallet wood ready to
Go?
I have seen it for sale on social media. Needs planing smooth and I used decking oil to treat it .

Sponsored Links
Buying new defeats the object of sense of achievement of making something useful out of waste..and its cheap:)

sadly my wife is a slave driver and prefers “quick” over “cheap” so I might just buy some pressure treated wood instead.

I don’t really have the set up for planing a lot of wood, we have limited space and a baby crawling around.

thanks. In the words of columbo “just one more question”!

Pallet timber. I googled a few places, I assume you get pallet timber actually still in pallet form so you have to pull it apart, remove the nails and varnish it?

can you actually buy pallet wood ready to
Go?
I have seen it for sale on social media. Needs planing smooth and I used decking oil to treat it .
sadly my wife is a slave driver and prefers “quick” over “cheap” so I might just buy some pressure treated wood instead.

I don’t really have the set up for planing a lot of wood, we have limited space and a baby crawling around.

I find the space outside is quite roomy.

Good grief! Disposal of them is a headache in the construction industry. In fact, we must have 50 or 60 pallets at the moment awaiting collection. Many construction sites are only too happy to give them away (at least the non-returnable ones, and there are a lot of those) because it is very costly to break them up and skip them. We are obviously no longer allowed to burn them, although I still see a lot of small builders doing just that. Next time you go past an active site why not just stop and ask?

Sponsored Links
I was mainly worried about weight on the hinges. I have 2 hinges (not sure what they are called but they are basically a triangle that extends about 6 inches, and a small plate that fixes to the frame and is attached by 3 approx 20mm screws)

T-Hinges although larger ones are available and stronger

Good grief! Disposal of them is a headache in the construction industry. In fact, we must have 50 or 60 pallets at the moment awaiting collection. Many construction sites are only too happy to give them away (at least the non-returnable ones, and there are a lot of those) because it is very costly to break them up and skip them. We are obviously no longer allowed to burn them, although I still see a lot of small builders doing just that. Next time you go past an active site why not just stop and ask?

You need a sideline of breaking the pallets up and flogging the wood yourself. One of these makes it very easy to 'dismantle' any pallet.

Roughneck Pallet Buster Demolition Bar 43" | Wrecking Bars | Screwfix.com

I use one to collect stock to make childrens mud kitchens and sand pits.

You need a sideline of breaking the pallets up and flogging the wood yourself. One of these makes it very easy to 'dismantle' any pallet.
Nice thought, especially as I already own a selection of demo bars (including a nice 2-prong decking bar), however we generally work 6 days a week, so I'm spare time poor. Surely it can"t be that profitable, though? If it is I might suggest it to our labourers

I used to break them up and, after checking there were no stray nails/staples left in the boards I would run them through my planer/thicknesser to remove the roughness. From the 'new' boards I would make mud kitchens or small sand tables/trays for children. Shops were selling mud kitchens for just under £100 last year for flimsy bits of wood you had to assemble yourself with the recommendation to, "bring under cover during wet weather". Once I had the parts cut to length I could build 2 or 3 a day then stain/waterproof the next day. I was selling them for £60 to £70 each depending on what little tweaks people wanted. This was for sale in The Range for £99.99 Very lightweight wood and not suitable for outdoors when wet.

Mud kitchen.jpg

This is the type of thing I was selling for £65 Good sturdy wood treated for outdoor use in any weather and could be left outside over winter, (my granddaughters one is still going strong after 3 years). The little BBQ Grill one was a one off for one of my grandsons. All paints/stains are outdoor weatherproof.
The food on the grill was my wifes' idea. Just a few scraps of mdf/dowelling and she painted them. The corn on the cob is a bit of dowel with glue gun dabs all over and painted yellow.
P1020796 (2).JPG
P1020795 (2).JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

Interesting. Still think I'd be better off sticking with what I know though, Conny. Maybe if I were 30 years younger.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back