Hinges on thin MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 large cavities at my house. One under the balcony and one under the kitchen. Both were just covered by a piece of old ply.

I am putting a slightly better solution in. I’ve made a frame of 2b2 and will screw into the concrete/bricks so the opening to the cavity has a wooden frame. I am cutting a sheet of 6mm MDF to cover this and putting hinges on it so it’s a door of sorts to keep the rain/cats/opportunistic thieves out (I know 6mm MDF isn’t much of a deterrent but it’s going to take at least some tools and effort to get it open as I will be padlocking it shut). After all, windows are easily broken if someone’s determined!)

Anyway, the hinges will be fastened by screws into the frame and into the MDF - but the screws are like 20mm so will be miles through the board. Do I use bolts instead? If so, can I get bolts which are hard to unscrew from the outside? I have seen kind of bolts with domes on them for this purpose but don’t know what they are called.

Or do I just screw through with the screws and then cut off the excess with a hacksaw (seems like a bad job that)

Anyway, help appreciated!

thanjs

Sponsored Links
MDF is the worst possible material to use outside.....it will deteriorate in no time.
Consider using OSB and painting it well, and use at least 18mm stuff.
John :)

Now, I thought chipboard was terrible wet! I’ll buy some because this will get rid of the screw issue with 18mm I’ll have plenty of space for screws.

while I have you....I tried cutting the MDF with a jigsaw earlier with little success. I’m doing flooring soon and need to be able to cut straight.

do I need to buy a table saw or any way I can cut long straight cuts on boards? I have a hand mitre but can’t cut boards with it!

I got a jigsaw today, not sure if it’s possible to cut straight with a bit of practice?

Thanks

OSB is similar to chipboard but larger timber flakes are bound together with resins so its much better but still needs paint or other wood treatment to make it last.
Jigsaws have their place for sure, but for long straight cuts its a bench circular saw or hand held circular saw ideally. For a one off job though, a good new (read sharp) handsaw is great and will do what you need.
Good for developing skills too!

Sponsored Links
OSB is similar to chipboard but larger timber flakes are bound together with resins so its much better but still needs paint or other wood treatment to make it last.
Jigsaws have their place for sure, but for long straight cuts its a bench circular saw or hand held circular saw ideally. For a one off job though, a good new (read sharp) handsaw is great and will do what you need.
Good for developing skills too!

nice one mate, really appreciate the input. I also now know OSB isn’t chipboard, I thought these things were interchangeable!

I’ll just get a handsaw. I have a lot of ply to cut soon as I’m over boarding and wood flooring my living room. Being honest, I’ve got a fairly good arm for sawing....I’ll see if the elbow grease is worth the £100 I’ll save getting a bench or a hand circular.

thanks again buddy

No worries mate, bear in mind that MDF is only compressed wood dust so you’ll appreciate its limitations.
However if its kept dry and well enough supported it does take paint well with a dedicated primer.
Good luck with your projects, lots of good advice on this forum!

Needs ply 18mm minimum, you could put you fist thru 6mm mdf.
You could clad the face with free pallet timber which makes it look more substantial.
Did this with an external cupboard.

Needs ply 18mm minimum, you could put you fist thru 6mm mdf.
You could clad the face with free pallet timber which makes it look more substantial.
Did this with an external cupboard.

I was mainly worried about weight on the hinges. I have 2 hinges (not sure what they are called but they are basically a triangle that extends about 6 inches, and a small plate that fixes to the frame and is attached by 3 approx 20mm screws)

If I’m putting this much weight on it I’ll have to get another or some bigger hinges. The hatch frame to be screwed into the opening with concrete screws is only 2’ by 2’, I hope it’s strong enough!

this is the smaller of the hatches and it’s purely for junk. The other cavity I’ll put more valuable stuff there so was going to make a Z door from 2b6 and use some bigger timber for the frame.

I’m just a bit confused on how big the hinges need to be

I was mainly worried about weight on the hinges. I have 2 hinges (not sure what they are called but they are basically a triangle that extends about 6 inches, and a small plate that fixes to the frame and is attached by 3 approx 20mm screws)

If I’m putting this much weight on it I’ll have to get another or some bigger hinges. The hatch frame to be screwed into the opening with concrete screws is only 2’ by 2’, I hope it’s strong enough!
Very little weight , mine was fixed with 2x2 inch hinges , with pallet timber on ply you get more like 30mm to screw too.
upload_2020-12-27_20-50-18.jpeg

Very little weight , mine was fixed with 2x2 inch hinges , with pallet timber on ply you get more like 30mm to screw too.
View attachment 215975

that’s a lovely job mate.

surely to get the ply in the rails you need a bench saw to cut the grooves? I’m working on a kitchen table with hand tools mainly....I was going to try a frame with ply insert but can’t see how I can get the ply to fit inside easily without some better tools

It’s that easy , screw thru ply to rear of pallet timber .

thanks. In the words of columbo “just one more question”!

Pallet timber. I googled a few places, I assume you get pallet timber actually still in pallet form so you have to pull it apart, remove the nails and varnish it?

can you actually buy pallet wood ready to
Go?

Yes, people dismantle pallets and sell the timber on eBay. I am sure you can buy packaging-grade timber new also, but probably not in the quantities you'd want for a little DIY project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back