Hipped roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I put this a wrong thread previously.

Back in December 2010, we had a pitched roof installed on our extension. The builder provided us with a 10 year guarantee. A roofer came to our property, recently for 30 secs and had one look and with disgust said "that's bad workmanship, the headlaps are all wrong! Get them back and correct it". He rushed off and left the property :/

I have been going through one of my external hard drives and found loads of images of the construction and competition of the roof when it was being done.

Can you please let me know from your professional prospective whats wrong with the roof, so that I can get back to the builder and to correct the issues.

See images, below thanks:
construction.jpg
completed roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
It does look untidy but is it actually leaking?

Otherwise, there may not be any 'issues' to correct.

From your fourth picture, where you can see the topmost and topmost-but-one (and two) rows. (Assuming a 50 X 25 batten) it looks like you have about a 50 mm overlap on the topmost-but-one to the topmost-but-two rows.
I would have thought that that was an absolute bare minimum and should be 75 mm at least.
If you know the tiles used and the pitch you can consult the manufacturer.

This is normally specified with the tile manufacturer and it’s advisable to check how much they say a roof tile should overlap, normally on a smooth faced tile the overlap is 75mm ( 3″ ) and on granular or sand faced tiles its 100mm ( 4″ )
http://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/videos-and-guides/pitched-roof/how-to-tile-a-roof-with-concrete-tiles/

But as Tony says, don't fix it if ain't broken.
In the 9th picture where the roof abutts the bay window, there does seem to be a bit of chaos going on with variable headlaps.

Edit:
Perhaps there might be a problem, but it remains undetected 'cos the original felted flat roof is still in situ.

Where does the bath/sink discharge from the bathroom go now?

Last edited:
Where does the bath/sink discharge from the bathroom go now?

The discharge now goes to the right hand-side where the satellite dish is, rather than the soul pipe. (The image in blue box , bottom left) and (see orange box last image with bubble around it).

Sponsored Links
It does look untidy but is it actually leaking?

Otherwise, there may not be any 'issues' to correct.

Thanks for your reply

There was a kitchen ceiling leak stain (see image below) from last year. We called property maintenance guys around they narrowed it down to a hair line crack in the shower waste pipe and this got re-placed.

But, we now noticed s slight wet mark say 7-8 inches round (2nd klight bulb down). The property is let, we have asked the new tenant to keep an eye on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back