Hire traders with Company registration number?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to hire a trader to supply and install a window.
I found the trader on Mybuilder and the company name is on Fensa site.
They sent a quote asking for 50% deposit so I checked the gov.uk website to see if the company has a registration number but I could not find it gov.uk.
Hence wondering whether this may be a sole trader whose company is not register? Is this common, should I be concerned of paying the deposit without the CRN?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only Limited companies will be on the companies house register. Could be a sole trader or an unincorporated company. Pay by credit card or PayPal if you can and are concerned.

Last edited:
I've just had some blinds fitted. I had to pay 100% before tye fitter stepped foot in my door.

There's not a chance on earth that I'd get any job by asking for payment first.

Hi,
I want to hire a trader to supply and install a window.
I found the trader on Mybuilder and the company name is on Fensa site.
They sent a quote asking for 50% deposit so I checked the gov.uk website to see if the company has a registration number but I could not find it gov.uk.
Hence wondering whether this may be a sole trader whose company is not register? Is this common, should I be concerned of paying the deposit without the CRN?

Many Thanks

I wouldn’t trust it because of this:

I found the trader on Mybuilder

As regards sole trader versus Ltd Company, well you stand more chance of getting money from a sole trader, because the debt is owned by the individual not the Ltd Company.

A Ltd company can be left to go bankrupt or if the owner never does an annual return Company’s house will strike it off.

If it was me, I’d get a local company to do it, one that’s well known and well established.

Sponsored Links
I've just had some blinds fitted. I had to pay 100% before tye fitter stepped foot in my door.

There's a world of difference between blinds - which probably were made bespoke, and therefore worthless elsewhere - and your bag of pushfit (y)

I had "certain customers" who had to settle the bill before I started the job.
I'm sure you know that kind.
As regards sole trader versus Ltd Company, well you stand more chance of getting money from a sole trader, because the debt is owned by the individual not the Ltd Company.
Very true.

I used to charge certain customers in advance for an MOT. You are allowed to. If they wont pay in advance its one of the reasons you are allowed to refuse to test.

Sponsored Links
Back