Hiring a bricklayer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given a bonus from work so have decided to spend it on hiring a bricklayer to move my diy extension forward quicker as I am struggling for time. I've found a few but how on earth do I choose?!

They seem to range in price from 160 - 200 a day. Obviously it comes down to cost, quality and speed (related to cost). I me a will the 200 a day guy be any quicker!!? I have around 800 blocks that need laying. I'm thinking that a decent guy could lay 200 in a day so should take roughly a week depending on amount of windows etc?

Any advice would be appreciated, not sure how to choose someone.

Sponsored Links
The expensive guy might just be busy, the cheap one might be keen on the job.
You could consider paying by the block rather than by the day, that incentives speed rather than quality, or just pay for the job as a whole on completion.
Regarding quality you can also ask to see previous work although I'm not sure if that's the done thing for brick layers.

The bricklayer would also need a labourer, as to amount laid each day it depends on lots of things, you could build 200 on straight runs,then struggle on pillars etc. Site rates per block in NW are min £1.50 per block plus extra for lintels/dpc/insulation etc, an extension is more time consuming therefore likely to cost more. Best bet is to get a price to build,and not a day rate, but be wary of someone available right away.

Day works are blank cheques from the Bank of Gullible. Get a price for the job.

How to choose? Have a look how many trowel marks he has in his level.

Sponsored Links
Try and find someone who has been recommend by someone you know for their work.

Nothing better than word of mouth.

If your just going on a whim they could be a fast tidy trowel or a complete tadger

OK so sounds like a price per m2 sounds like a good idea or maybe a price for whole job but it's likely I may chip in so would rather pay for either their time or piece work.

Price for blocks seems to be between 16 - 20 a m2. Any idea what the price for bricks might be?

Try and find someone who has been recommend by someone you know for their work.

Nothing better than word of mouth.

If your just going on a whim they could be a fast tidy trowel or a complete tadger

This ^^^^

I got a random to do mine, he showed me pictures of his recent work then made a messy job of mine and did the pointing the wrong way up.

oh yeah watch out in case the pictures are someone else's work too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back