Quote for bricklaying.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm currently building a 2 story extension and have had a quote for the bricklaying side of it.

It is for approx. 4200 facing bricks, 800 blocks, with insulation and four openings, standard catnic lintels. 1 gable end. Pretty straight forward.

The quote has been from a team of 3 brickies plus 1 labourer. Job to be done at weekends. They've said it'll take no more than 4 weekends, possibly only 3 depending on weather.

I know people on here don't like giving out info on the money aspect of it, but I feel they are trying to rip me off.
They have quoted £4800 (cash, cough cough) - All in.

They have already been and done the walls upto dpc which they charged me £100 each. It only took them a day.
If you take this rate and apply it to the rest of the job then it should only come to £3200

Basically I'm after opinions on this from other brickies / builders.

Also (and I know the answers i'm going to get on this one) Does anyone feel this is something I could do myself.
I'm under no timescale limit and am no idiot when it comes to diy.
I know good bricklaying is an art, but if I take my time is it something i should give a go. Been looking at the bricky tool to help the job along.

Any opinions on this (don't nail me to the wall too much, please) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
a bit dear i think blocks £1 each bricks £360 per thousand insulation 50 pence per sheet .these are about the rates being paid now so for cash it should be a little cheaper. i would not bother having a go yourself could turn into an expensive mistake

£3-£3.5k. This would include the first floor joists and running the wall plates through

I've seen lots of people lay bricks with no experience, but none of them laid them properly or nicely. Small areas may be fine, but bigger areas tend to look a bigger mess

Sponsored Links
a bit dear i think blocks £1 each bricks £360 per thousand insulation 50 pence per sheet .these are about the rates being paid now so for cash it should be a little cheaper. i would not bother having a go yourself could turn into an expensive mistake
£365 a 1000 bricks i think not, on your calculations they would want to lay a 1000 a day for a split of £85 each a day and the job would take no longer than 5 or 6 days including the block work, you cant price as if your throwing them down in the footings, it may be a tad over priced but if there neat let them get on with it,like the guy said they will be climbing around on scaffold like mokeys and wont be as fast as they was in the footings , ps get a quote from a established builder and then compare , i think your find those guys are reasonable :)

I see what your saying about the work being more involved than the footings, but i don't think it's justified to double the price.

If you take it that it'll be 6 days to do the job, then with 4 of them, then thats 24 man days. £4800 / 24 comes to £200 a day.

After speaking to people in the trade, and especially at the moment with little work around, I feel this is way too much,

I'm not trying to take advantage of the fact that people in the trade are short of work and therefore I can screw them down on price (I believe in paying fairly for decent work, I know its an art and not everyone can do it), but on the other hand I don't like being ripped off or taking for a mug.

Just as an afternote, I've placed the job on one of these websites that you put the details down and people in the trade give you quotes. I've recieved 2 so far and both have been under £3500.

That along with Woody and maters comments leave me to believe they are trying it on.

if a 3+1 gang could not lay more than 1000 in a day neatly then they are not bricklayers.not sure what rates they pay elsewhere in the country but i live in shropshire which borders staffordshire so the rates are about right for a gang.

if a 3+1 gang could not lay more than 1000 in a day neatly then they are not bricklayers.not sure what rates they pay elsewhere in the country but i live in shropshire which borders staffordshire so the rates are about right for a gang.
not for £85 each a day they wouldnt unless your hard up or live up north, average bricks what a be layed is about 400 each , you forget going around windows door openings isnt that straight forward as laying 800 bricks on a flank a day,i dont know where you get your figures from lol , a suby would only want you to lay 350 too 450 a day and still earn money out you , talking out the back o your neck,why should that gang go to work all week then go to his job for peanuts at the weekend, if hes happy with there work why quibble,like i said a established building firm would charge double that at least for a shell,its not all about money m8 quality has a say :eek:

i think youre being unreasonable. Youve agreed a price with them, which you presumably agreed on because you thought it was a fair price and you were happy with them. Now because thyeve done one days work, and your happy with it, but theyve worked well and quickly, youre judging the rest of the job on it.

You agreed a fixed price. If it took longer for them to do it, would you entertain them asking for more money? It works both ways.

i think youre being unreasonable. Youve agreed a price with them, which you presumably agreed on because you thought it was a fair price and you were happy with them. Now because thyeve done one days work, and your happy with it, but theyve worked well and quickly, youre judging the rest of the job on it.

You agreed a fixed price. If it took longer for them to do it, would you entertain them asking for more money? It works both ways.
spot on thermo

After speaking to people in the trade, and especially at the moment with little work around, I feel this is way too much,

All pricing is subjective.

Without seeing the job it is impossible to tell.

When i quote, i factor in losses due to weather, delivery delays, scaffold hiccups and also factor in profit.

Ho hum.

Before you start getting too judgemental. I never agreed any price with them. They came and did the footings @ £100 day each and then submitted a quote afterwards for the rest of the job.

No aggrement was made that they would get the job and they were well aware of this when they did the footings.

As far as them asking for more money if the job took longer then no I definetly wouldn't entertain this. Its a bog standard 2 story extension with no "special features". As you say these lads are doing this kind of work day in day out. So if they quote a job which they say will take no more than 8 days, then I would expect them to be experienced enough to stick to it.
Why quote a fixed price for a job if you dont understand how long it'll take you.

Before you start getting too judgemental. I never agreed any price with them. They came and did the footings @ £100 day each and then submitted a quote afterwards for the rest of the job.

No aggrement was made that they would get the job and they were well aware of this when they did the footings.

As far as them asking for more money if the job took longer then no I definetly wouldn't entertain this. Its a bog standard 2 story extension with no "special features". As you say these lads are doing this kind of work day in day out. So if they quote a job which they say will take no more than 8 days, then I would expect them to be experienced enough to stick to it.
Why quote a fixed price for a job if you dont understand how long it'll take you.
would you work weekends for normal pay? :confused:

I'm afraid in my job if I have to work most Saturdays at normal pay (which I get taxed on). Dont forget the quote was for cash.

I'm afraid in my job if I have to work most Saturdays at normal pay (which I get taxed on). Dont forget the quote was for cash.
yes i know its cash and your not in a position to stop them tax,on the other side of the coin not charging vat , they will probaly earn around 1200 each for 7 or 8 days work, if they was unemployed and done the work during the week you might have a good case , it does seem a bit much as its cash so cant you get say 800 knocked off.pretty sure there still go for it, better the devil you know.... :) ps il do it for 3500 ,you as my hoddy :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back