Bricklayer problems

Hi Woody.

Yes, I am paying him privately, but he also works for the council as a BCO, so I may have had him on this project if I would have used the council.

The reason I went this way was, that I was originally told that I would only have to deal with one person (the Architect) and he would sort everything with the BCO.

I will be paying the Architect directly and he will sort out other payments.

I assumed that it would be a lot easier this way, but it's working out to be more of a hassle.

freddymercurystwin

The NHBC inspector didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Only kidding.

I have become really suspicious with a lot of people in the construction industry.

I lost quite a bit of money before, due to someone not building an extension properly and a lot of it had to be done a second time.

I don't think there's any harm in finding out exactly how something should be done and not getting ripped off.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
My issue with him is, if he is a qualified Bricklayer and he has be doing it for around 20 years, surely he should no the layout of this construction at floor level.

That is your question and here is your answer.
Your bricklayer could possibly be the fastest, neatest trowel in Southern Wales, but in his 20 years has never worked with either a full or basic radon barrier.
In our area if you asked 200 bricklayers if they knew the details of a radon barrier, you would be lucky to find one to answer the question.
There are some where in the region of a dozen different ways of forming a radon barrier, depending whether it is full barrier, basic barrier, ground bearing slab, block and beam, suspended concrete, level DPC, split level DPC, full fill cavity, partial fill cavity, ventilation, whether radon sumps and sump outlets are required or whether fans are required. Details round incoming services are messy, and difficult. The last flyer to be thrown in, is the sealing of the mobility threshold to main entrance door. That detail is a real pig.
It is the Architects, main contractor, project manager or COW to either provide a drawing or specification of what is required in the construction of the unit to comply with building regs. It is the bricklayers job to carry out the brickwork all in accordance to comply with drawings and specification.
Your bricklayer is right, in that a building in a non radon build does not need a cavity tray or weep holes at DPC level, how ever in a radon build a radon barrier is required across the cavity. These are two different animals for two different purposes. As you are on block and beam and split level DPC ( although we run two internal DPCs on block and beam) your barrier will need to be designed accordingly. Also bear in mind that only 25% of the work on radon barrier is done by the bricklayer. 75% is done by others.
Couple of other points we are curious about. You give your location as Cardiff. According to the radon maps, Cardiff is not subject to radon gas. Did you have a geological assessment carried out before commencement?
Due to your lack of knowledge, suggest you seek professional advice before you waste a lot more money.
oldun

Couple of other points we are curious about. You give your location as Cardiff. According to the radon maps, Cardiff is not subject to radon gas. Did you have a geological assessment carried out before commencement?
In Devon there is a blanket assumption by BC that Radon is or may be present one day irrespective of the map so all new buildings require protection, the pipes are just terminated at ground level to enable future testing/fan connecting. May be the same stance taken in Cardiff.

Sponsored Links
Cheers oldun for that explanation.

I agree that due to my lack of knowledge and also because I tend to not trust tradesmen to do what they should be doing, I have also caused some problems.

You have confused me again by saying that "Your bricklayer is right, in that a building in a non radon build does not need a cavity tray or weep holes at DPC level".

I thought that the cavity tray was formed to stop any water penetration into the inner wall and had nothing to do with radon protection.

I am based in Cardiff, but the plot is in Blackwood.

I have been told that the 2 main areas are in Ebbw vale and Caerphilly mountain.

I did have a ground survey done and it says to just use basic protection.

Cheers.

I thought that the cavity tray was formed to stop any water penetration into the inner wall and had nothing to do with radon protection.
Wrong.

The cavity tray in this instance is all to do with the radon gas barrier and nowt else.

Without the fact that the gas barrier is straddling the dpc, there would be no need for a cavity tray.

We do not fit low level C.T.'s for fun at dpc detail. There is no need for one unless you are fitting a dpm that is bridging the cavity and closing off the sub-dpc cavity trough. Closing it off allows any moisture to gather on top of the barrier and ultimately wet the inner leaf.

First of all get yourself a radon report specific to the property. Costs £3.60 online and will tell you precisely whether you need radon measures for a new build and if so which level.

http://ukradon.org/

As mentioned by others above you have to understand that there are dozens of ways to build a house. A bricklayer may be good with a trowel but may not be that interested in technical detail and regulations. To be sure you have to tell them exactly how YOU want it done. Problem comes when your knowledge is a bit sketchy. The bricky will ask questions and if you are not 100% sure about your response he will ask more awkward questions and things will get confusing.

As for level of drawings for the planning stage. In an ideal world you would do full technical design at the planning stage. But that isn't always the case. Many clients don't want to invest in full production drawings until they know they can get planning. Often a scheme will have to be tweaked and sometimes completely redesigned before planning is finally granted. If you had to work out fully detailed technical drawings every time there was a design change it would be a nightmare.

So what usually happens is you work out just enough detail to know the building can be built and leave the fine detail till later. Yes you might have to go back over stuff and work out a lot of detail later but at least the client knows it's a goer. That's all very well but sometimes clients don't do the build they just sell a property on with the planning. At that stage the purchaser should employ somebody to prepare full production drawings. But often they don't. Instead they try to save dosh by building off the planning drawings. Given the above you can see that this is usually a false economy.

Hi noseall.

So if there was no need for radon protection would a cavity tray be formed at dpc level?

Thanks John.

I do realise that this has created a major problem for me and the bricky.

The radon report that I had told me to do basic radon protection.

What radon report - where from? Was it property specific? Was it British Geological Survey accredited? If not I'd get one from UKradon. It might save you a lot of hassle.

Note that nose has answered your question, however for your guidance. Approved Document C Section 5.5c states that a cavity tray and weep holes are not required at DPC level providing the concrete cavity fill is 225mm below the lowest DPC level. See diagram 9a. This is the norm on new builds. NHBC Standards are 5.1 S2 and basically repeat the above building regulation.
In your case you will need to provide for gas barrier at top of beams which is 2 course below external DPC and will now require a cavity tray above at external DPC level.. It is a simple operation, but one that would take us to long to explain, that is why we suggested you seek professional advice.
Blackwood, Caerphilly NP12 according to maps, no radon anywhere in that area.
To the best of our knowledge, it is not legal for a BCO working for Local Council to also practice as an independent. Smells of a back hander job.
oldun

Hi jeds.

Yes it was a geological report. It cost £500, but I was told that it is usually over £1000. I was given 3 booklets, one for us, one for the planning and one for the BCO.

It stated at the back that basic protection was required.

Hi oldun.

I do know what the setup for this is as I was given it from another member on here and I also found it on the 1999 radon protection report.

The Radon barrier goes directly through the cavity at block and beam level and then the cavity tray is formed on top of that.

If there is no Radon why would I have to do basic protection, surely it would be zero protection.

I Will look into this about the BCO doing private work as well.

Cheers.

I've got my wires crossed I've seen Bricklayers plenty of times put in a cavity tray at DPC and when I have asked them they have said it's standard practice.

Please keep posting freddymercurystwin.

I'm learning a load of information. :D

It's just taking me a bit of time because I have seen things done in the past which are either wrong or not needed.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back